Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fluids Swaps/knocking sounds

Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Exclamation Fluids Swaps/knocking sounds

I bought a 99 XJ 4.0 auto 4x4 with 145000 about five monthes ago. After I bought it I noticed a knock. I have no idea where it is coming from or what it is. I pretty much does it when Im excelerating. I got an oil change today and they did there little checks on fluids and such and they said that the transmission fluid was in need of replacing. I have noticed that it does sometimes have a hard time getting from first to second but nothing else past that. Does anyone know if this is an easy thing to do on the 99 xj? The place wanted 250 for the service and if it is as easy as draining a plug I think I can handle that myself. I can change my own oil but that is the extent of my mechanical abilities so far but i do want to start doing my own stuff.
Im about to start a build project on this jeep and pictures will be posted.
If anyone can give me some detailed directions or a link to detailed directions on how to drain and replace transmission fluid on a 99 auto that would be great. Also the antifreze isnt up to snuff apparently as well so details on that would be great.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996 Limited
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

I havent done a tranny filter and fluid change yet ( soon to come) but by any change do you have a Repair manual? I know my Haynes tells you step by step how to pull the filter and replace it and the fluid.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 5.9

the trans is a little more complicated than the motor oil but you can do it, its not that hard.There is no drain plug so just remove the bolt from one corner of the pan. after that loosen the bolts so that the one closest to the bolt you removed is almost all the way out and the bolt opposite of that is almost all the way in. this will let the pan hang down at an angle so the fluid pours out the corner where you took the first bolt out.hwen it stops pouring remove the bolts starting at the low end of the pan to get more of the fluid out. When you get to the last one be carefull cause the pan will still have some fluid in it so dont dump it on your head.After you get the pan off its usualy either a couple of clipps or screws that hold the filterin Just take those out and the filter will pull staight down. Slide in the new filter. replace screws or clipps and replace the pan and top off fluid.

The best part is you can do it yourself for about 30 bucks no problem.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Talking thank you

I was wondering if it had a drain plug. I just went out and bought the haynes and the layout picture looked nothing like mine. I was wondering about that and you hooked me up. Im gonna give it a go next saturday. Unfortuanetly I live in tacoma, wa and it is so rainy it is almost impossible to pick a good day to try it out. Thanks for the replies they both helped
Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by joe bob
the trans is a little more complicated than the motor oil but you can do it, its not that hard.There is no drain plug so just remove the bolt from one corner of the pan. after that loosen the bolts so that the one closest to the bolt you removed is almost all the way out and the bolt opposite of that is almost all the way in. this will let the pan hang down at an angle so the fluid pours out the corner where you took the first bolt out.hwen it stops pouring remove the bolts starting at the low end of the pan to get more of the fluid out. When you get to the last one be carefull cause the pan will still have some fluid in it so dont dump it on your head.After you get the pan off its usualy either a couple of clipps or screws that hold the filterin Just take those out and the filter will pull staight down. Slide in the new filter. replace screws or clipps and replace the pan and top off fluid.

The best part is you can do it yourself for about 30 bucks no problem.

Umm.... an AW-4 has a drain plug.....
Old 01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

does it? what is AW-4? I havent even crawled nderneath there yet and a drain plug would make life much easier. Does the differentail fluid have a drain plug too?