Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Floor Board Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Floor Board Replacement Questions

I bought my 2000 Sport recently and thought I had made a great buy. 89,000 miles and very well maintained. I thought I had inspected it well enough when I bought it but after a couple of days of driving it I noticed a musty smell that wasn't obvious before. It had rained overnight and much to my surprise the passengers side carpet was wet. You probably can guess the rest. My passenger side floor board was rusted from the front flat area all the way back to the rear seat kickup. I decided to cut it out and replace it. I purchased some replacement panels and began cutting out the old rusted metal. I will post a complete repair thread later after all is completed. My question is what is the best way to install the new floor boards? I left a 1" border on the tranny tunnel to fasten/weld to and the overlap metal in the front and back are solid. The side frame rail is solid too. I was thinking about cleaning off all the seam sealer and stitch welding the new pans in and then resealing the seams with seam sealer. I was then going to apply bedliner on the whole new area inside and out plus the floor boards on the driver side. Does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry about being so long winded.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Sounds like pretty much what I did.

Did mine with a cheap Harbor Freight welder, too.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:37 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L
Default How did it turn out

I have a cheap 110 volt mig welder that works great for light gauge sheetmetal welding. If i get the settings right I doon't even have to do any grinding. I have no problem with the welding I was just concerned with any water migration up through the seams. I guess I will have to test the seam sealer with a sample piece. I have plenty of scrap since I cut the floor pan out. Those spot welds are a bear to grind out. Took me most of the day. I will post some pictures and a step by step when I get further along. It surprises me that the young lady I bought this jeep from didn't do something about the leak early on. It had to have been obvious. Well the damage was done but when I get done it will be better than new. I bought heavier gauge floor pans and with the bed liner it will be impervious to rust. Does anyone have any suggestions about the best kind of bedliner and propoer way to apply?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6

I did this about a month ago except all my rust was in the cargo area. I used the cheap Duplicolor rattle can bedliner. I used sheet metal and rivets to repair the rust. I would've welded but that damn gas tank was in the way. Haha. I'm happy with the results and I haven't seen any rust since I sprayed it.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 AM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0

I used undercoating on my floor when I replaced it. It scrapes off super easy. I would use the bed liner if I did it again.