Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Flood Damage

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB
Default Flood Damage

Need a little help here guys. I didn't search, but under the circumstances, please forgive me. The time is being used for more urgent matters. House got flooded, plus I might have lost both vehicles ... my DD for sure, the XJ ... we'll see.

Flood waters swallowed the ol' XJ in the recent "Frankenstorm" on the east coast. She started right up afterwards, but water got into the block. I'm draining the oil, but it looks more like caramel pancake batter. I plan to do 2 or 3 drain/refill cycles, but what's the best way to disolve/clean the stuff completely out of the system?

Next, I dunno if there is water in the tranny. The (cold) dipstick looks red, a little dark, but not too bad. Is there another way to be sure if water's in it? I can't drop the pan myself & hesitant to drive it. Would the fluid look frothy even if cold? Should I just let the XJ run & check when it's warm? Appreciate any advice. Thx
Old 11-03-2012, 10:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by _StationWagon_
Need a little help here guys. I didn't search, but under the circumstances, please forgive me. The time is being used for more urgent matters. House got flooded, plus I might have lost both vehicles ... my DD for sure, the XJ ... we'll see.

Flood waters swallowed the ol' XJ in the recent "Frankenstorm" on the east coast. She started right up afterwards, but water got into the block. I'm draining the oil, but it looks more like caramel pancake batter. I plan to do 2 or 3 drain/refill cycles, but what's the best way to disolve/clean the stuff completely out of the system?

Next, I dunno if there is water in the tranny. The (cold) dipstick looks red, a little dark, but not too bad. Is there another way to be sure if water's in it? I can't drop the pan myself & hesitant to drive it. Would the fluid look frothy even if cold? Should I just let the XJ run & check when it's warm? Appreciate any advice. Thx
Under those circumstances I'd just change all fluids to be safe, don't forget the differentials too! Any fluid that comes out with water in it go for a second change shortly after. Sorry to hear man, best of luck with everything.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I'd change all fluids that are vented. That includes the oil, trans, hydraulic clutch if equipped, t-case, both axles, power steering, and the gas tank. The battery can be tested to see if it's damaged from the salt water.
I'd thoroughly clean/power wash the entire vehicle as soon as is practical to remove all traces of any salt residue.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ol"blue
I'd change all fluids that are vented. That includes the oil, trans, hydraulic clutch if equipped, t-case, both axles, power steering, and the gas tank. The battery can be tested to see if it's damaged from the salt water.
I'd thoroughly clean/power wash the entire vehicle as soon as is practical to remove all traces of any salt residue.
my thoughts also, best of luck.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

First off, glad you are ok. Do hope your Jeep makes it! You should'nt have any trouble taking the trans pan off yourself. If i remember right, you have a pretty b.a. XJ. And ya ain't a "man" ha ha! So, sorry to hear you got flooded. Wish you and everyone your way the best.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

There are gonna be a whole bunch of "flood cars" on the market pretty soon, becareful when buying a used vehicle in the near future.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 AM

if water got into the trans it would be overfull. the level should be under the hash marks if it does not have a "cold" level check. as the trans fluid heats up, it expands a little and is moving through the system, thus making the level correct when you check it running at operating temp on level ground. however, i would flush it just to be safe. sorry to hear ab the loss. good luck.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ol"blue
+1
And best of luck, hopefully things return to normal over there soon.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

It depends on how deep the Jeep got covered.

How underwater was it?

And, was it salt or fresh water?

Last edited by Firestorm500; 11-04-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

It's been a few days but I've been real busy guys ...

Thanks for the replies. It was salt water & I don't know exactly how deep since I wasn't at that location. The XJ was located higher up than I was! But the water did not get to the dash. On the passenger side (which was tilted down due to the grade of the road) the seat covers indicate that there was water just up over the power seat controls. I think that's as high as it got. Don't know how the engine got so nasty.

I have since found out the following: The tranny is OK - no water got in. The diffs (the rear at least) has nasty stuff in it. I'll assume the front is the same.The Jeep now won't start even though it started up several times since the flood. The battery might have died - but I have all lights working. Maybe the starter is toast? Alternator? I dunno. My main priority is to get this thing back on the road. How hard is it to change the starter?

Things are far from normal I'm afraid ... still have no heat / hot water. Both furnace & hot water heater are destroyed.

But on to the XJ. Thoughts?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 PM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991

sorry to hear the storm affected you. Salt water is no good...if it got in to any electrical components their done...may work a couple of times but will eventualy fail. clear water will do some damage but salt will creep its way everywhere electrical Wire harnass included ..I say your starter is toast at the very least......I wish you well and hope things get better for you all out there..good luck on your jeep
Cameron

p.s..changing the starter is not hard..you should be able to get at from below and done in an hour tops

Last edited by ck1; 11-10-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear you were in the storm, our thoughts are with you!!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:40 PM

Good news: when water goes into engine it stays under oil, so let us say, one quart wouldn't hurt anything, if drained w/o start.
Bad news: salt water will evaporate, when engine is warmed up, but salt will not.
So get cheapest oil and change a few times. If you don't change filter every time, you need to remove it, drain and put back.
1. pressure wash engine bay with all wires
2. disconnect all connectors, wash them (brake cleaner?), let dry, spray by WD40 or use electrical grease.
How high water level was?
good luck!