Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fixes to strange problems

Old 02-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Lightbulb Fixes to strange problems

Ok, I see a lot of "Broke down, don't know whats wrong, how do I fix it OMG I've tried everything" threads in this forum a lot. I'm going to list some fixes to these big problems, which I and others (add your 2 cents) have encountered.

Here we go now.

"It starts, but it cranks really slow when its colder out, and the battery is new."

>Starter is going bad, replace it before it dies altogether.

>Reason being it takes more amps to turn the starter motor the colder the ambient temp is. The brushes inside the starter wear and create a larger gap over time. (depending on how often and how long you turn the engine over) Larger the gap, the more amps that are needed for the starter to rotate.

-----------

"The engine acts like its missing sometimes when im driving down the road, but I just did a tune up, and got no CEL."

>Try replacing the alternator, or voltage regulator

>As the engine runs the alternator charges the battery and runs the ignition until the battery is charged, then switches off charge to the battery, until it gets low again, then the alternator's regulator sends volts back to the battery. It usually does this seamlessly. However, if the regulator hangs up for a moment, and the circuit is interrupted the engine will turn off for a split second until the regulator switches the voltage over. To the driver it will feel like a hard miss or a sudden buck. When replacing the alternator or when takign it off to get the alternator checked, wiggle the tensioner pulleys and make sure they aren't loose and make sure the belt is in good shape.

-------------

"My RPMs rev way up when I start the Jeep and ither stay or some back down after 5 or more seconds."

"My RPMs drop really low when I let off the gas (auto) or when I disengage the clutch (manual) when coming to a stop."

>Clean the throttle body (TB) with some Throttle Body Cleaner

>The PVC system is not a clean one, Im sure you have noticed the oil film in the top part of the air box and the elbow. Though it is a very fine mist of vapors which travels through the intake system, some of the vapor will drop out over time and collect in the TB, and make its way into the Idle Air Control (IAC) chamber and cause all sorts of problems. Before anyone tries replacing the IAC, clean the TB first DO NOT use carb cleaner, it will remove the smooth coating in the TB, and make it sticky like fly paper.

------------

"I have a thud occasionally when going over small bumps"

>Replace the shock mounts rubber, or tighten them down.

>If that dosn't fix the noise, go on to the next possibly, but hey, you figured out the noise deffently wasn't coming from that, with a $5 part.

------------

"I have a clicking noise all the time." but still runs fine

"I have a clicking noise when accelerating" but no miss, and runs strong

>Make sure the exhaust flange is sealing, manifold is tight and the exhaust pipe isn't hitting anything. Might just be as simple as a bad manifold gasket. Sometimes the manifold is cracked, but I have yet to actually run across one and it isn't always the problem.

>Don't go straight to the ol blame the lifter routine. A bad lifter would give you drive-ability problems.

All in all start with the cheapest fix to diagnose the bigger problem.

Some problems may have many possibles of what needs to be fixed, start with the simplest and cheapest before putting a lot more of your time and money into something that isn't the problem at all.

Been fixing and tinkering with Jeeps among other things for a very long time, the above were a few of the "strange" problems I have ran across before

Your turn to share your fix to your "strange" problem!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

this is good advice...
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0