Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fix one thing, another problem pops up... Window switch or motor issue..

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fix one thing, another problem pops up... Window switch or motor issue..

I did a search but could not find a thread that is specific enough to my concern to be of much help.

I just got the A/C and cruise control working reliably thanks to the help of some members of this forum but no sooner did I enjoy the fruits of that labor, did another, more serious issue come up.

A few days ago, my drivers side window stopped rolling down. I would push the switch to roll the window down and I would hear the motor but the window would not go down. I would have to push my hand against it and slide it down to follow that motor assembly. It would slide freely so I figured it disconnected from the window regulator assemble. Obviously when I rolled it up, the window would be pushed up so everything was OKAY for the most part. Just a minor inconvenience until I could pull the door panel and re-attach it. The I accidentally pushed down too hard and wallah! the window seemed to re-attach to the regulator assembly because it started following it up and down as if nothing had happened. I was going to pull the panel and inspect either way because I am going to replace the switch assembly. When I press down to have the window automatically finish rolling it's self down it would not. I had to hold the switch down and hold it to get the window down. This was a minor inconvenience if even that but I like things working right. Well, I went to roll the window down yesterday and the window seemed to disconnect again so I pushed down a little hard to try to re-connect it and it slipped from my grip and it slammed down and I stopped hearing the motor work. I can still control the other windows and the switch seems to be functioning like before accept no drivers door window control. So now I have my window stuck in the down position and no way to secure my vehicle. Honestly theft is a minor concern where I live (not much crime) but it is going to rain toward the end of this week and no one wants their vehicle rained in. I believe I need a new window regulator assembly. Does anyone believe I am wrong or is there any other repairs I may attempt to secure it without ordering new parts and waiting for them? Im going to order a new switch assembly today and if I need to, I will order a regulator assembly but I would hate to order something and paying for something I cannot return should this not be the answer to the problem.

Thanks for any input...
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your regulator and or motor is shot. They aren't really serviceable parts. Just hit the parts store and get a new one. Under a hundred bucks. Or you could order from rockauto and in the mean time get the panel off and disconnect the motor and regulator (three or four bolts and two clips under the glass). With the help of another set of hands, you may be able to push the window back up and rig it up with a piece of wood or something. Personally I would just get the part from the local parts store. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:40 PM

Yeah that's what I figured. We have two local parts stores. Both very small and rarely have what I need in stock but I gave the local Napa a call and they happened to have just what I need in stock to the tune of $130.00. I put my name on it and will be stopping to pick it up on my way home tonight. I figured not getting my jeep rained in was worth the extra 50 bucks over the units I have found online. Irregardless, I will have to wait for the window switch because the Napa wanted more that twice what I found one on inline for and it's not a HUGE deal yet. Ill place an order and just pull the door panel again when the switch gets here.

Any advice on any parts in there I should replace while I have everything apart? I'm kind of OCD about replacing everything that I can when I have something apart. I figure I might as well do it now so I don't have to pull it back apart in three months.

Last edited by bwortman84; 07-30-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 AM

Got the new regulator and motor last night and put it in. Install was a piece of cake and went in in about a half hour of taking my time to do it right and running from yellowjackets. I'm still waiting in the window switch so the whole fix the drivers side door issues project will be complete here in about a week. Thanks Muaddib420 for reassuring me that what I thought it was was actually the case. It made it easier to pony up the $130 for about 10 bucks worth of motor and materials. Well, now its onto fixing the front axle shaft U-Joints...