Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First Time on forum have a question ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First Time on forum have a question ??

First off it is my first time with this forum thing and to tell you the truth I dont really know much about Jeeps , but I am very interested in them. I have a pickup truck right now ( 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 ) and am looking at getting a Cherokee. I am looking at purchasing a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4dr with a 5 speed manual tranny, 4.0L engine, 4x4 with 117,000 miles on it. For $1700 and I was wondering if that is worth it. It is immaculate condition no dents, dings rust nothin. My plans for this Jeep are to put like a 4.5 inch lift bigger tires ect.... I wanted to know what you guys recommend for a good resonable price lift, good offroad tires ( right now I have goodyear wrangler mt/r tires on my truck and i love them), and one more question does the Cherokee I am looking at have a posi/limited slip rear ? thanks and look foward to some information !
Old 12-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

if it is how you are describing it would sell for 2000+ where i live
Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I 6

welcome and we do not make fun of noobs here like many other forums we were all there once im a noob on a diesel forum bought my first didn't know jack. if u would wanna know more there a book at barns and nobbles on building a cherokee

used but not abused or if u got the bucks long arm from Rubicon express full leaf pack add a leaf is junk i have them but i owned all trucks so used to the truck feel. but a good one is rc or 4wd .
u would want longer lcas and adj. track bar with a heim joint if u can. do not go rustys i pick up my used 4.5 technically 3.5 with bb budget boost for 150 and bought the other stuff new. tires 32 look good on it

as for the by its not bad check for leaks[ oil]clutch slippage, ax15 trans is the best 5 spd
check for rust floor boards and rear trunk

any pics?
is it private dealer?
try 1500
Old 12-14-2008, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

btw fine a dirt parking lot and try there 4x4
and maybe one day ur chevy will tow it around lol
Old 12-15-2008, 12:20 AM

hey thanks for the info i will look into the lift( if i end up gettin the jeep), what tires do you recomend for offroading, mud, snow ? do you know if my jeep would have a posi/limited slip rear end in it ?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Originally Posted by Fatcat
First off it is my first time with this forum thing and to tell you the truth I dont really know much about Jeeps , but I am very interested in them. I have a pickup truck right now ( 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 ) and am looking at getting a Cherokee. I am looking at purchasing a 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4dr with a 5 speed manual tranny, 4.0L engine, 4x4 with 117,000 miles on it. For $1700 and I was wondering if that is worth it. It is immaculate condition no dents, dings rust nothin. My plans for this Jeep are to put like a 4.5 inch lift bigger tires ect.... I wanted to know what you guys recommend for a good resonable price lift, good offroad tires ( right now I have goodyear wrangler mt/r tires on my truck and i love them), and one more question does the Cherokee I am looking at have a posi/limited slip rear ? thanks and look foward to some information !
Hell, this is the easiest thread I ever replied to...
Yes! It's damn worth it!!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

did u buy it yet? tires probably if ur not going to wheel hard is either bfgs or cooper stts if u want the best tire its super swampers. look at trxus m/t or hightech retreads
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 AM
CF Veteran

http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?c...&plID=546&pg=3
Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

good deal for sure.
2000 year xj's come with the low pinion front d30 and either the rear d35 or corp 8.25, depending on abs breaks. both axles had available limited slip.

it's kinda hard to tell if you have limited slip over the net, but if you were to call a dealership and give them the last half of your vin, they can verify whether you have limited slip or not. easiest guaranteed way.

good luck and welcome to the addiction.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

sounds like a great deal. as far as lift, welllllll there are several, re being top of my list but they all have there uses. tires, depends on your needs.
again, sounds like a great deal
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 PM

ok guys i am going to pick it up this weekend for $1700, and right away I want to put a 4-4.5" lift on it and some 32-33 tires on it, I need to know what lift kit is the best bang for the buck for the size i want. and what tires are the best bang for the buck for, mudding, trail riding, snow, and other misc. things like that. and would you guys recomend me gettin a locker for the front or rear diff of this jeep ? and should i worry about gettin skid plates, bumpers, rocker guards, ect....... just remember i am new to this offroad deal but have always wanted to get into it i just need help gettin started with the essentials !
Old 12-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 99

sounds like a pretty good price if its really that nice. Keep in mind though, if its going to be a wheeler, its probably not going to stay nice for long. Many people look for one for less that may be a little dinged up since its going to happen anyways.

I know someone has told you to stay away from Rustys lift kits but i have to say i've had excellent results with parts from them. I'm running his 4.5" lift with spacers and drop shackles and love it. Also running fixed lower control arms and adj. uppers, HD track bar and frame bracket. Its all great parts and they have the best customer service i've ever delt with.

for 4.5" lift, you will be trimming some sheet metal if you plan to run 33's.

If you go 4.5" you may not need a sye kit, but hard to tell until its all together.

a great all around tire is the bfg muds. I've ran them, mickey thompson baja claws, and now running super swamper iroks. loved them all but for my style of wheeling, the iroks work the best.

as far as lockers, I prefer locking the rear before the front if you dont plan on doing both at the same time for strength reasons.

skids are good. probably a transfercase skid and gas tank skids should be first on the list.

Rock sliders are a must on xj's. the factory rocker panels are pretty thin and with one good whack, you'll never get the doors closed again.

A good front bumper will also double as a frame strengthener and steering box suport so its a good upgrade. Plus you'll be able to haul a winch (for pulling all the wranglers out of the ditches)

Good luck with your build and lets see those pics!!!

Last edited by 99NCXJ; 12-15-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L renix

best bang for your buck is rough country.
if i was gonna go back down to 33's i would get these http://treadwright.com/Tires-285_75R16_M_T_G-P106.aspx and mount them on TJ moab rims.
just an idea.

also search craigslist. you can ussually find some nice deals on used tires and rims or even lifts.
buy yourself a cheap little welder. it will pay for itself over and over when you decide to do bumpers and rocker guards ect.

the best advice i can give you is dont put a lift and tires on it right away! i know its tempting but if you hang around and do research (NAXJA.org has loads of info) and wait for good deals on used parts to pop up you will be able to end up with a much better setup that fits you. also i would spend the initial money going over the jeep and making sure everything is kosher.

one more thing. get a HP 30 for the front before you do any upgrades. the good ones can be found in 1995-1998 xj's and if you have a 35 swap in an 8.25. theres no sense in upgrading crappy axles
edit. dont know why but i thought you were getting a 2000. if its 1992 your front axle should be fine

Last edited by richxj89; 12-15-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

wow, don't know why i thought it was a 2000 also. weird.

if it's a 93, it's not quite as good of a deal, however, if it's in great shape, well taken care of, it's not bad.

here in canada, 93's are usually quite rusty by now. we can usually get them for a couple hundred bux. matter of fact, i just bought a 92 laredo with 152kms (94000 miles) for 100 bux. but it's a bit rusty.

i second rusty's lifts also, and i advise to stay away from rough country (rc).
another decent lift, but pricey is rubicon express super flex or extreme duty.
you can piece a lift together, but see what RE supplies for a lift your desired size to see what all you will need, as they're usually quite complete other than shocks.

good luck, and take post lots of pics during your progress.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

its my fault, i said that a jeep like that goes for 2000+ arround me

Quick Reply: First Time on forum have a question ??