Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

first the power windows now my dash lights!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry first the power windows now my dash lights!!

So sunday my windows are working fine then sunday night theyre not wont go up or down anywhere from any switch in the car.Now the dash lights have gone aswell its like a ghost in the machine! when i turn the lights down to sides the clock comes back on but on main lights it kind of dimly flickers anybody PLEASE HELP!!!!

Cheers Mark
Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by Motorheadtt6
So sunday my windows are working fine then sunday night theyre not wont go up or down anywhere from any switch in the car.Now the dash lights have gone aswell its like a ghost in the machine! when i turn the lights down to sides the clock comes back on but on main lights it kind of dimly flickers anybody PLEASE HELP!!!!

Cheers Mark

Huh?? Check your fuse panel for any blown fuses. Also might have a bad headlight switch.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 AM

Unhappy

so thenext day as im about to rip the dash out and check switches and wiring they start working again!! But then the indicators stopped working.........Now its all working again apart from the left turn signal which doesnt flash? Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0 I6

loose wires somewhere
Old 03-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Dashlights Fix

My 96 Classic was doing the same crap,the 1st time It was a fuse and I had Dash Lights Back for about a week,the next time they started the "dimmly flickering" thing you said happened to you,when I would wiggle the headlight switch they flickered a couple of times then just quit. I went and bought a new headlight switch yesterday and all is well again.Just a little note,to change out the switch you have to remove the "knee guard" panel then pull out the switch to turn on the lights,come up from underneath and feel around with your finger,there is a little button on the bottom of the switch that you need to push in and hold while you pull on the **** and shaft,it will pull right out,then you just have the nut that goes in from the fron 1 plug with several connections and a ground plug,the ground is in the front on the replacement switches not sticking out of the back like the original.I had to remove the instrument panel as well to get to where I could access the switch well enought to unlock the "2" switch tabs so that I could unplug it,It is a son of a gun and not fun ,took me about an hour,I could do another one in 10 minutes so hopefully what I went through in the Discovery process will help you out a bit. The switch almost 25.00 with tax so not too bad....Vegas
Old 03-15-2009, 10:41 AM

Thanx man il give it a go. I think i have a spare switch round here somewhere...................................