Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

first jeep!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default first jeep!

Hello cherokee forum!

just bought a '91 cherokee 4x4 4 door, automatic, has 224,752 miles. All stock. What to do? tune up? change oil?(if so what type? high mileage synthetic?) new sparkplugs/wires? cold air intake? getting a cherry bomb is what im mainly wanting. and i want to go mainly mudding and offroading not really rock crawling so will a 3'' lift and some 33s do the trick or whats up? any noob advice helps
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Good luck with the new Jeep, hope you have better luck than I do with my money pit.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

OIL: depends if you get a lot of blow by w/ full synthetic. I run mobil1 10w-30.
leaks? run cheaper oil depending on severity.

EXHAUST: just cut the muffler out. runs better on the highway, and don't sound too bad in my opinion. I could definitely do louder if I wanted to spend money on a resonator

TUNE UP: of course, $20 for wires, $12 for plugs, $5 rotor, $5 cap, $3 carb/brake cleaner for the throttle body, thermostat if it runs a little warm(i run 180 fail-safe)

LIFT: i got a 3.5" old man emu lift w/ 32x11.50's and it definitely ain't small!

EXTRAS: check your differential oil to see how clean it is, and run new vent hose(s) if they are worn out.

what engine you got? check your fan(not the electric one) to make sure it spins freely from the engine. If it doesn't and you get in deep mud/water the blades will pull forward and eat your radiator.

INTAKE: not if your mudding, keep your air box closed up so you don't hydro-lock

Just a few things I learned the hard way, and a few my friends learned the hard way.
welcome to the forums
Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 PM

Year: 1991

thanks for the info! the engine is the 4.0 high output of course. no oil leaks. will no muffler = no pass inspection? and how much was your lift/tires setup?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8l v6 with some wiz bang additions

old man emu lifts are kind of pricey when you look at them (about 800 bucks in quadratechs magazine) but when you read what you're getting its a good deal, dont let sticker shock get to ya. as for emissions testing i wouldnt know, im from nebraska and alot of our vehicles run pipes right off the headers :tup: as for deep water mudding and crick crossing find yourself a nice snorkel for it.. makes em look mean too!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

Originally Posted by Midwest_Mudder
old man emu lifts are kind of pricey when you look at them (about 800 bucks in quadratechs magazine) but when you read what you're getting its a good deal, dont let sticker shock get to ya. as for emissions testing i wouldnt know, im from nebraska and alot of our vehicles run pipes right off the headers :tup: as for deep water mudding and crick crossing find yourself a nice snorkel for it.. makes em look mean too!
You can build your own snorkel if you feel creative. I kinda like the pvc/abs home crafted stuff. The lift looks bigger than 3.5, and I definitely like the 32x11.50's(wheel spacers on front). the tires just feel more stable being that wide/high.

Originally Posted by niktheknife
thanks for the info! the engine is the 4.0 high output of course. no oil leaks. will no muffler = no pass inspection? and how much was your lift/tires setup?
you will need to run a straight pipe where the muffler used to be so they can still hook up the gas tube at the back of the vehicle. Depending on your state inspection rules differ. Here in Denver,CO I don't need a muffler, but I know for a fact in California ANYTHING other than stock is asking for trouble.

My lift/tires were on the jeep when i bought it. I picked it up for $1800.
When i buy my next jeep a lift it will be most likely a 4.5" Rubicon Express lift w/ 35's, although I have seen 4.5" RE and 3.5" OME side by side and the OME looks bigger. I haven't set any of my decisions in stone yet though.

And if you got no oil leaks, and you aren't burning any oil I would say try synthetic and if you start to burn oil then move to a synthetic blend. And if your still noticing a drop in oil level go back to conventional. I WILL ALWAYS RUN SYNTHETIC, just my likes though.