Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default First Jeep

I just got my first Jeep yesterday. It is a 97 Cherokee Country. It has some miles on it but was a one owner Jeep. It still looks new and has never been modified, (yet anyway). When I test drove it everything sounded fine but after the 2 hour drive home it now has the clunk from the rear when applying the brakes. I pulled the drums off , the shoes seem to have some wear left so I'm not sure if they are the problem. I put it in gear while on the jack stands and when you apply the brakes you can see the rear end move. It looks like the pinion angle changes for the second that the brakes are applied. Any ideas where to start.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:56 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

LOL...welcome to the sickness...as to your problem, do you have any kind of clunk when putting into gear, like switching from drive to reverse? I would start at the rear driveshaft and work my way back...check u-joints for play, then check your u-bolts on the leaf springs, leaf springs and bushings, and do a good, thorough inspection of the brakes, drums, bearings and seals, check your shock mounts, and...well you get the idea. Don't just look at it, get your hands on it, try moving pieces and check for any play. Keep us posted.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Does it have Anti-Lock Brakes? My 91 didnt have ABS and it would do it all the time, I had no issues come out of it. I believe the back brakes were locking up.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:57 PM

How can I tell if they are anti lock? The drums kind of drag and then free up when you rotate them by hand. Also wondering why it didn't do it when I test drove it and then started after the 2 hour ride back home. The shoes look like they have some life left but it still looks like they could stand to be pulled apart and everything cleaned.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

On a test drive you only have time to notice the obvious and larger issues. 2 hours of driving after the pruchase gives you the time and clarity, to nit-pick and notice the subtle stuff. If you have anti-lock will have an antilock solenoid under the master cylinder. inspect everything.. Do not assume that a clunk that happens when you apply the brakes is brake related.... Could just be a dry slip yoke. Could something else. My recommendation is to start at the back bumper and inspect and service EVERYTHING till you get to the front bumper. Some axle movement is normal, question is that movement excessive or not.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:23 PM

There is a block right under the master cylinder that two brake lines from the master run into. The block also has a plug with wires attached so I assume this is the anti lock controller. I assume this is only front anti lock? I removed the drive shaft and greased the heck out of the slip yoke and I still get the noise. I checked the leaf springs with a pry bar and there is very little movement, same with the transfer case mount, some movement but not much. The rear shock bushings don't look very good as they are the original shocks with 215000 on them. Before I buy new shoes and rebuild the rear brakes I think I will take the cover off the rear diff and inspect, since I'm sure the fluid needs changing. What should I look for when I take the cover off?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

215000 miles is a lot for a set of shocks.. might be your clunk.
Now look at the back of the brakes, are there tone rings and sensors.. Counts the rings and sensors.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:42 PM

Do you mean the rear brakes? I will look. What fluid should I put in the diffs?
The owners manual says that if you have Trac-Loc diffs then you need an additive. Is there something I can get at autozone or walmart?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kingfishracin
Do you mean the rear brakes? I will look. What fluid should I put in the diffs?
The owners manual says that if you have Trac-Loc diffs then you need an additive. Is there something I can get at autozone or walmart?
Mobil one and royal purple 75-140 already have the additive for a limited slip differential. That's the gear fluid that Richmond recommended me to use with their locker. I have zero issues with it.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 AM

I don't think that I have anti lock brakes. What I saw next to the master cylinder seems to be a pressure differential switch. How do I know if I need the limited slip fluid or not?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM

Ok so I do not have anti lock brakes and I have an open diff on the rear. I have the cover off now and I'm changing the oil. I do not see any broken teeth on any of the gears. Is there anything else that I need to be looking for while I have the cover off?
Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by kingfishracin
Ok so I do not have anti lock brakes and I have an open diff on the rear. I have the cover off now and I'm changing the oil. I do not see any broken teeth on any of the gears. Is there anything else that I need to be looking for while I have the cover off?
Check for slack when u move the tires post a pic of how it looks. I always clean mine with brake cleaner till it's completely clean then silicone it and cover it.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:32 PM

Year: 1995

Could be shot leaf spring bushings. Mine did the same thing after a few too many hard wheeling trips.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:12 PM

I'm not sure how I can get I picture of the slack but I will take a look at it. I am going to completely rebuild the rear brakes, including wheel cylinders, this weekend. I have the drums being turned right now. I put a pry bay in the leaf springs but didn't get much if any movement. I'm not sure if it needs to be a ride height to check for leaf spring play. It is on the stands with the rear end just hanging on the shocks. The shocks need replacing anyway.

Last edited by kingfishracin; 05-15-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Just an update. After rebuilding the rear brakes and greasing the slip joint the "clunking" under braking seems to have went away. I still get a little clunk when hitting big bumps but I think that is from the worn out shocks. Thanks for all the replies now its on to the water dripping on the floorboard.