Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fires but will not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L high output with compressed valves
Question Fires but will not start

So i had started my jeep daily and drove it daily. I went to start it and it turned over and fired but it would not start. It will randomly fire. I have spark, fuel, air, and pressure. I checked my plug wires and they are in order. It got cold enough to freeze 5 batteries inside of my car. Is it possible it got cold enough to make it not start?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Cps?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 AM

Question

I replaced it haha. I bought the jeep because it would not start. It was the cps because there was no spark. I HAVE spark. it's not the cps
Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 AM

I know that temp effects diesels. But idk bout gasoline. If your careful you can take a little propane torch. Warm ur intake mani and that would help. But the fact that it pops and won't run don't make me think temp matters.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 AM

Do you have leaky injectors or any where suckin air. Cause if u prime fuel system. Pop it and it looses prime that would happen.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 AM

Question

I replaced my injectors last month. All o rings and injectors are good. I warmed it up in my garage with 3 heaters going.. I put some starting fluid in the throttle body and still nothing. I replaced my alternator. I still can not get it to charge either. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. If this helps anyone on here. THINGS I HAVE REPLACED: injectors, cps, radiator, alternator, ignition switch, starter solenoid, dist. cap, spark plugs, and plug wires.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 AM

What do you mean by cant get it to charge? It won't charge if it won't run? Or do you mean battery won't charge with charger? Because if you have low voltage PCM won't wake up? Make sure connection on batt and alternator Are good. Double check your work.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 AM

If its a manual try to two start it
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 AM

Question

I was at my witts end and took it to a shop fter i replaced everything. He told me the alt was bad. I replaced the alternator, the first one napa gave me tested good on the bench test at napa.... they gve me another good one. so i put that in and no change. and the battery. I had checked the volts at the stud on the back of the alterntor. it was at 12.3 "not good" so i was like whats goin on? So the wire going from the alternator to the starter solenid, i straight wired that from the alt. to the battery. The fusable link on it is good. The voltage on the battery, and on the back of the alt. were the same. I replaced the ignition switch as well. The "mechanic" said i had power at the plug in on the alt. so the exciter wire was supposedly good. sooooo ideas!?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 AM

Does battery voltage drop dramatically while cranking? Because there is voltage don't mean that current can flow. If there is resistance( corrosion or loose wires ) it will show fine until you put it under load. If you can check voltage at PCM while cranking that would be ideal. That is the direction I would head. Others may have better ideas. But it sounds as if PCM is getting robbed of power.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 AM

Question

it was running when i was testing the voltage. So i don't know how the pcm would do anything? do 88 have ecu's? i had a 91 so im lost on this one! havent gone trhough all this before on this model?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 AM

Any thing injected has a ECM or PCM. Everyone calls em somethin different. Your charging should be an easy fix. You should be at 13 to 14.5 running. As far as no start issue I'm stumped. Ill brain storm some more ideas.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:05 AM

Question

OKAY cool thanks. So i will check the wires going to the alt. that plug into it. And anything from there...im stumped on this? ideas of things to test?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 PM

Year: 1996

goblinish15: Did you figure out your issue? I've been dealing with similar issues with my 96' with it cranking but not starting. I've ruled out a CPS as I've replaced that and had no issues for about 3 weeks but am now experiencing it again. It seems like it happens when I shutdown the truck and restart after a drive (whether a short distance or long) that it doesn't want to start. I've got good battery voltage, spark, fuel pressure, as well as no issues with the starter that I can tell as it is attempting to crank. Any suggestions or thoughts that you've taken to eliminate the issue? My next step is to look into the ECM...not sure what may be faulty or causing a random no-start issue though.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Gob check your iCM (IGNITION CONTOL MODULE). I had a 87 that ran fine on saturday then on sunday wouldnt start would sputter sometimes. spent weeks trying to figure out what was wrong. decided to just grab a new to me icm from the junkyard. worked perfect afterwards. Also what color is your spark? if your battery is weak and you have bad spark (even though it does have spark) it probably wont start.

Quick Reply: Fires but will not start