Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fire!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Fire!

Hi guys, yes I had a fire while driving. It wasnot huge but alot of smoke. My stepson installed a new antenna in my 1998 Cherokee and did not remove the old antenna and from the burn marks on the old antenna wire I figure it must have shorted on the new antenna and wa-la fire! Outside of a burned connector on the radio I dont see any damage, however, a couple of days after the fire the jeep will no longer start. I am not getting any fuel, cannot hear the pump running when I turn on the key, no spark cause I tried starting fluid with no ignition. I tried using a code reader which now reports it cannot contact vehicle. Am I correct in thinking it must be the PCU? Would appreciate your input before I start spending the money, thanks alot!

Davewisz
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I would think its a crank poaition sensor.

And I dont think radio antenna have electricity flowing through them...
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Davewisz
Hi guys, yes I had a fire while driving. It wasnot huge but alot of smoke. My stepson installed a new antenna in my 1998 Cherokee and did not remove the old antenna and from the burn marks on the old antenna wire I figure it must have shorted on the new antenna and wa-la fire! Outside of a burned connector on the radio I dont see any damage, however, a couple of days after the fire the jeep will no longer start. I am not getting any fuel, cannot hear the pump running when I turn on the key, no spark cause I tried starting fluid with no ignition. I tried using a code reader which now reports it cannot contact vehicle. Am I correct in thinking it must be the PCU? Would appreciate your input before I start spending the money, thanks alot!

Davewisz
Was the fire inside the cab? Figure out what burnt. The antenna wire carries microwave signal, not electricity so something else shorted to cause your fire. Also, check your fuses but please, find the source of your fire and fix it or you're just asking for another one.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Davewisz

Davewisz
When you say it won't start, are you saying it cranks but won't fire up?

Yes, the PCM may be toast. The PCM doesn't tolerate large voltage spikes. Before replacing the PCM, you must find the cause of the short circuit or it will cook your replacement PCM. I don't think the new antenna shorted to the old antenna. Something else is wrong.

Check all the maxi and mini fuses in the PDC and Junction Block (in the passenger footwell). Check the fuseable link wire at the front of the PDC. The wire that comes from the alternator.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I am away from home where the jeep is kept, luckily I have another vehicle to drive while I get this together. The end of the antenna cable was burned but since it wasnt removed perhaps the other end hit a power source I gotta check that. If its not one thing its another! You guys are alot of help and I have learned alot reading your threads, Thanks Davewisz