Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A few tech. questions, 2000 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A few tech. questions, 2000 XJ

I am not new to the Jeep world, but new to the Cherokee world. I used to be as you guys say a WRONGLER guy
I really enjoy my Cherokee, should have bought one sooner.
It is a 2000 with 154,000 miles on it. Seems to run really well. Body in decent shape, etc.

Just have a few general questions:
-Is a new keyless entry remote available at the dealer? At what cost?
-My mechanic says with this amount of miles I shouldn't change the transmission oil filter, because it may cause other problems. Is this true?
-Steering gear seems to have a little bit of play in it. Is this just a characteristic of the Cherokees?
-Since I know nothing of the history of this Jeep, is there anything I should thoroughly go thru?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-17-2009, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

the keys are available at the dealer not sure of cost the mechanic is an idiot change the oil would leave your engine oil in if it wasnt ever changed? the steering probably track bar theyre worthless or tierod draglink check all those first just make sure the steering and trackbar are ok also check the steering box bolts for tighness and make sure there arent any cracks on the frame around the box another problem with these and good luck
Old 04-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by triola
-Is a new keyless entry remote available at the dealer? At what cost?
-My mechanic says with this amount of miles I shouldn't change the transmission oil filter, because it may cause other problems. Is this true?
-Steering gear seems to have a little bit of play in it. Is this just a characteristic of the Cherokees?
-Since I know nothing of the history of this Jeep, is there anything I should thoroughly go thru?
You need to let us know where you are, Mang

The key fobs aren't that expensive. $60-$80 depending on year. If you have a buddy at the dealer he can get the remote programmed for you.

Please change the transmission oil. Back in the old days, you had to worry about washing the clutches in new fluid and draining all the "clutch" out when you change the fluid. Not so much any more.

Loose steering can be anything. Get under the front and have a buddy jiggle the wheel... look for the sloppy parts.

Jeeps have a few "common" issues, but don't start rebuilding things until they show themselves (ie... don't fix things that aren't broken yet).

Enjoy your XJ
Old 04-17-2009, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Get the keyfobs on Ebay for $10 a piece or so. Do you know for sure it had RKE from the factory? If not, that's a whole different story. Mine had RKE from the factory, and it was just a matter of buying the fobs from eBay. On our year XJx though you have to take them to the dealer to be programmed. My dealer charged me $40 for both. If it didn't have RKE from the factory, I think your best bet would be to look into aftermarket solutions.

If you don't know the history of the Jeep, you should change all the fluids including the transmission and filter. You should also hit the diffs, engine oil, transfer case, power steering fluid and brake fluid.

The steering stabilizer is a common failure point with XJs with that many miles or even less, but it should also be anything in your front end to include the steering gear, tie rods, control arms, etc. Do a search here for threads on similar problems to get an idea on where to start troubleshooting.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info. guys
Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Registered Users

Engine: 4.0 6 cyl

i looked online for a keyfob and looked online how to program. didnt have to take it to a dealer.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:04 AM

Remote keyless entry receiver is in headliner next to domelight.

Steering box can be adjusted. Don't over do it.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joshpallotta
i looked online for a keyfob and looked online how to program. didnt have to take it to a dealer.
You should post here for the programming as I've never seen how to do it for the 2k model year.