Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Few random questions on my jeep...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Few random questions on my jeep...

1) My steering has "play" in it while driving. What it is, is that when driving I can move the wheel side to side ( turn it ) a few inches ( say 2-3" each way ). Thing is that it doesn't effect the steering. Is this like "Dead" play in the steering? Is it because of the 35s? The steering box was replaced, but unsure with what. Could i need a new steering stabilizer?

2) When I turn my jeep around a turn ( lol I know ), so think a 90deg. turn. I hear a like something shift ( or pop if you will ) underneath. Is that suspension related? Is it the sway bar possibly? Could it be the springs?

3) I went wheeling for a bit a few days ago. It was around 95+ degrees out. Sure this is hard on the cooling system on the XJ. My gauge never over heated but it was one line higher than normal. I think its 210 in the middle of the gauge. Would wiring the AC fan to come on with a switch help? Or it isn't THAT much of a help?

4) On my 35s, I did the chalk test. I have around 1/2" left of the chalk on the edges. When doing the chalk test, I should have NOTHING left right? It should all wear off, and that will tell me correct pressure?

5) Lastly, I'm running an AW4. I did install a transcooler on it. I still noticed after driving on the highway and then going into a shopping center, it still feels hot. Reason I say this is because when going from drive to reverse, it kinda "bangs" into F or R. Is this normal for a high mileage trans, or is this normal all together. It isn't all the time, just sometimes. I did buy the B&M 70268, so it isn't a small one.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM

bump
Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 AM

As far as steering, mine is the same way and I've been told it's a combo of the bigger tires and because "it's a jeep.....that's like complaining about it leaking".

What are you trying to figure out in terms of your "chalk test"?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:25 AM

For the chalk test, Im trying to figure out best contact patch for the road. Ya know, the PSI of the front and rear.. I did the chalk test and Im around 25-26psi roughly.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 L/242 CID I-6 High Output MFI

He's trying to check even tire wear... Depending on the style and type of your tires, they might have that 1/2" not wearing on both edges. Seems like mine never do, and I keep them 32-36 psi.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by NattyBoh
1) My steering has "play" in it while driving. What it is, is that when driving I can move the wheel side to side ( turn it ) a few inches ( say 2-3" each way ). Thing is that it doesn't effect the steering. Is this like "Dead" play in the steering? Is it because of the 35s? The steering box was replaced, but unsure with what. Could i need a new steering stabilizer?

2) When I turn my jeep around a turn ( lol I know ), so think a 90deg. turn. I hear a like something shift ( or pop if you will ) underneath. Is that suspension related? Is it the sway bar possibly? Could it be the springs?

3) I went wheeling for a bit a few days ago. It was around 95+ degrees out. Sure this is hard on the cooling system on the XJ. My gauge never over heated but it was one line higher than normal. I think its 210 in the middle of the gauge. Would wiring the AC fan to come on with a switch help? Or it isn't THAT much of a help?

4) On my 35s, I did the chalk test. I have around 1/2" left of the chalk on the edges. When doing the chalk test, I should have NOTHING left right? It should all wear off, and that will tell me correct pressure?

5) Lastly, I'm running an AW4. I did install a transcooler on it. I still noticed after driving on the highway and then going into a shopping center, it still feels hot. Reason I say this is because when going from drive to reverse, it kinda "bangs" into F or R. Is this normal for a high mileage trans, or is this normal all together. It isn't all the time, just sometimes. I did buy the B&M 70268, so it isn't a small one.

A high mileage vehicle will have play in the wheel. The only thing you can do it is replace the loose part in the steering. It could be the u-joint, it could be the steering gears, anything that's loose and connected. Mine only has an inch or two of play, but it doesn't get offroaded hard.

As for the suspension pop, do you also notice it when you first take off sometimes? I have the same noise, and inspection has resulted in two conclusions: my sway bar bushings are worn A LOT and my track bar bushings are probably also worn out. It could also be u-joints or ball joints. You need to visually inspect each suspension and steering component and then start working them with your hands to find any looseness.

Your engine being a little warmer during offroading is very normal, but there is precautions you can take to keep it cool. Cowl in the hood, high flow water pump and radiator, etc., etc....

Try changing your tranny fluid and filter or get it professionally flushed at a reputable shop.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks bro. I guess Im over exaggerating the pop noise, Its not LOUD. I just hear it in the cab.. its very hard to explain. I'll see if I can get a video of it.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Mine does it. Not too loud and I can't hear it over gravel underneath the tires usually.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM

yeah its barely noticeable. It doesnt sound like anything major. But any noise could turn major haha
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Just remember: fixing it now or at least knowing what it is is better than Death Wobble at 75 MPH
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM

I dont get any of that thank God. Maybe some bump steer, but even that isnt bad. I bought a stock pitman arm to replace the drop that is on there ( it came like that ) so I went to put on the pitman arm and it didnt go all the way up onto the steering arm, like the drop one does.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, if you got a big lift, that's why the pitman arm was custom or aftermarket lol.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

As for the play in the steering and the "pop" you hear, have someone turn the wheel while you watch the steering parts.

I had the same problem, and it was a worn track bar. It had about 1/16"-1/8" vertical slop and and would roll and "Pop" when the wheel was turned and direction reversed. While I had no wobble at speed, it did wander and had the play in the wheel. I managed to get the old one out and am going out now to install the replacement.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 AM

Now I did have that issue too. I had play from the trackbar inside of the trackbar bracket. I fixed that with a shim. But maybe I have play on the other side. Where the trackbar meets the axle.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The track bar bushings are replaceable.

I just got back from a test drive after replacing my track bar. All of the steering slop is GONE and it doesn't wander.

Quick Reply: Few random questions on my jeep...