Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A few questions

Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default A few questions

Hey guys, Happy New Year to you all. I have a 98 XJ, SE, 4.0 Auto 4wd. It was a service vehicle at some point in its life. It only has 100k, thats why I got it and it was cheap. I am in the process of removing what doesn't belong and freshening up things before i lift it. Engine runs smooth has a little bit of a stumble but I'm sure a tune up will fix that. I opened the hood in the dark with the engine running and it looks like a disco ball under there.. (Plug wires)

Steering is a bit sloppy has a lot of play and is normal from what I've been reading. This is not my daily but I want it to be reliable and safe.

It's still wired for a CB so that's a bonus lol and back up warning alarm which has to go.

The truck has 2 speakers in the doors but the wire harness at the radio shows the truck is wired for two more speakers. Where would the other wires be? Could there be a plug and i need a harness or will they be tucked away someplace. The front speakers don't work, I'm just going replace & wire those straight from the radio.

Under the hood is a mess in my opinion. There are a lot of ground straps, unused relays and wires. I'm guessing from the communications that were installed. There is a plug near the fuse box maybe you can tell me what it is for, seems to be in the factory harness.

Is the vertical hose with the white plug a vent?

The battery will need to be rewired the ground has 3 wires coming off and the pos has two. All Terminals need to be replaced.. When it's warmer.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Welcome to the site.... 1st thing sloppy steering is not normal at all... My is almost 10 years older and has more mileage and my steering is tight... You will want to address that it is a safe issue for me...
2nd You can never have to many ground Jeeps love having grounds
3rd thing when you Do your tuner up try and use Brass tune up parts they run really good and will last a lot longer...
The white plug is on all of them fyi its normal...
Have fun and enjoy your Jeep enjoy your stay here as well
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Steering is a bit sloppy has a lot of play and is normal from what I've been reading. This is not my daily but I want it to be reliable and safe.
While it will never handle like it's on rails, check all the front end components for play.

The truck has 2 speakers in the doors but the wire harness at the radio shows the truck is wired for two more speakers. Where would the other wires be? Could there be a plug and i need a harness or will they be tucked away someplace. The front speakers don't work, I'm just going replace & wire those straight from the radio.
Probably has no "sound bar" in the cargo area, hence why they were deleted.

Under the hood is a mess in my opinion. There are a lot of ground straps, unused relays and wires. I'm guessing from the communications that were installed. There is a plug near the fuse box maybe you can tell me what it is for, seems to be in the factory harness.
No idea on the connector, does it show up in a wiring diagram?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

That unused connector is for a Leak Detection Pump. You'll see that on alot of Cherokees that do not have Califoinia emissions. For some reason Chrysler pre-wired the 98+ cherokees for LDP.

That white device on the rubber tube is the front differential upper vent fitting.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Year: 2000

Thank you Turbo, Rooster and CCKen