Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fan clutch up grade??

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fan clutch up grade??

I might be wrong but it seems that I while back I knew a guy that worked on xj's that were in a fleet and one of the first things that he did to every xj was to replace the fan clutch new or otherwise so that it ran constantly rather than kick on when the clutch engadged. does anybody have any info on this since overheating is a problem w/ xj's
Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

if you have an electric fan you can wire it on a relay to run constantly on the mechanical fan all you need is a flex a lite fan and a fan spacer to get it back to the right place real easy to do and yes it does improve cooling, i do believe the cherokees are reverse rotation so be sure you get a fan for reverse rotation this setup might also work with the factory fan and just a spacer i'm waiting till it warms up to see if i will need to do this but i've done it on a ranger and a s10 and worked great
Old 02-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I already did that to the electric fan I just couldn't remember how the guy fixed the mechanical fan thanks for the info I will definatly be doing that upgrade because it did keep them running alot cooler since all the jeeps were drove in city conditions they all origianally ran hot.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

If I get your question right I dont think you can stop the "clutch" part of the fan but you can put a no clutch fan on. I would keep it on for street use. Should be standard rotation.

Copied this from summit for a 96 cherokee "clutch"

The clutch engages the fan at low speeds when additional cooling is needed. At high speeds, the clutch disengages the fan, removing the load against the engine and allowing the engine to run more efficiently. There are two types of fan clutches--non-thermal and thermal. Non-thermal fan clutches engage the fan based on the shaft speed of the water pump. Thermal fan clutches engage the fan based on a bi-metal thermostatic coil, which senses the underhood temperature. Derale offers a full line of thermal and non-thermal fan clutches to fit most popular foreign and domestic applications. Fan clutches are available in standard and reverse rotation.