Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fan/ blower issue 1993 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default fan/ blower issue 1993 Cherokee

At some point over the winter I was messing around switching the heat from vent to defrost and something happened. The fan still blows on all levels, the heat is hot and after charging the a/c system the cold is cold. The problem is the air just doesnt seem to be diverting correctly. The defrost barely blows out and it seems as if most of the air is diverted to the floor no matter what. Also if you try to slide the **** all the way to cold, it wont go all the way. if you force it all the way left it springs back to like halfway in the cold. Im sure its some sort of diverter issue but has anyone elso had this issue? any quick fixes?
FYI its a 1993 4cyl 5 speed base model
Old 05-04-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

crawl under the dash and try and operate the cable while looking up towards the climate box. figure out which cable is moving when you are trying to change the temp. then disconnect said cable and try to move the door manually and operate the cable. which ever one is sticking is your problem and repair from there.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by XJRed96
crawl under the dash and try and operate the cable while looking up towards the climate box. figure out which cable is moving when you are trying to change the temp. then disconnect said cable and try to move the door manually and operate the cable. which ever one is sticking is your problem and repair from there.
No cable all vacuum operated with dash pot.
Attached Images  

Last edited by freegdr; 05-05-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

that certainly throws a wrench in my theory. I know the blend door cable is bad on mine and that led me to believe the earlier models would have been too..,. never assume.

I would then suggest to the op pulling the climate head out and poking around to see what you see.