Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Falken Brand AT Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Falken Brand AT Tires

I've seen ads for these tires,mainly the the Rocky Mountain,and I just can't wrap my head around how these could qualify as off road tires. Most AT tires have at least somewhat of a knobby lug tread pattern on them. The Falken tires to me, look square shouldered and just not real aggressive. Almost like a street tire. Maybe because I run BFG AT radials.

Anyone have a first hand account of how these Falken tires perform in different off road conditions?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do have the 2 ply side wall, i ran them 30x9.50x15s for about 4 months. off roading about 2-3 times with them. i didnt like how they started to wear. so then went with the bfg ats and sold them.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.7 Hemi

I thought the Rocky Mountains had 3 plys?
Haven't done any offroading yet in mine, but I hear they are a passable 'light' offroading tire. For $138 per, not a bad alternative to a 'normal' street tire.
Dogger - regardless of the wear issue, how did they perform offroad?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Any a/t tire I see never seems worth it... For several reasons... The first is the fact that outside of summer, pretty much every dirt road will have a section that if at a stop, you may need 4wd to get out. Second, in snow they aren't any better than good summer tires. and third, if you do go wheeling, you won't find a point when you go "yea, I got thru that with a/t's" it would usually go "...yea, I've got a/t's. So will ya pull me out or what?" that being said, I have wrangler Duratrac's and they are really good in everything except deep mud. This is ok with me since my xj is more of a mall crawlin pavement princess than anything these days...

Edit- the dura's are a 10 ply.. And pretty quiet on road with good high speed control.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Year: 1997

I got 20,000 miles on my falkens. I've had them in six inches of snow pushing a 2wd ranger up hills and getting out of the drive way in the foot of snow to get to work no problem at all. Rain on the highway with no problems and the kick up mud pretty good too. For the price there pretty nice
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM

Ah, ok then. So buying the Rockys at $138 over say, Michelin all season streets at $250 was not wise? Was really just looking for something that goes gangbusters in serious snow and on the occasional muddy dirt road and trail. The old wranglers (wearing thin) that came with the Jeep did a phenomenal job compared to say, my 20" Toyos on my old Charger SRT8. Talk about a paradigm shift! Last winter was my first in the Jeep, and i went out of my way to find deep snow to play in.
My first choice was the wrangler silent armours, but they couldn't get them down to my price point.
The Rockys looked knobby and had fairly good reviews. Figured they had to be better than the thread worn wranglers at any rate.
Guess I'll just have to see for myself when the snow begins to fly. Gonna be another la nina year - YES!!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ngler+DuraTrac

Northern Vt, 1 hour from Canadian border, r tard amounts of snow and ice. These things did so well this last winter. I didn't get stuck. Literally. Did some good ol snow plowin, though.. If you studded em, it would seal the deal... Oh and anything but deep mud, but this could be anytime I was stuck, I was on resting on the chassi...

Last edited by VTJeep; 11-22-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 PM

Did not see them in my size - 245/65/R17. They sound pretty good, though...
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM

I have 31 10.50s on my mines. They work pretty well for what Ive put them through. They do get caked up with mud pretty easily if you get into some really soupy stuff. All in all Im very happy with the tires I got, its got a nice tread pattern to them. We dont have too much snow down here so I have yet to see how well it does in snow. But on rocks and trails etc they have done a lot better than I expected. My only complaint is the sidewall is a bit soft, so making sudden lane changes on the freeway can get a bit scary. But at the same time it lets the tire conform to the rocks offroad a bit better when you air them down.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by motorcity Jeepster
I thought the Rocky Mountains had 3 plys?
Haven't done any offroading yet in mine, but I hear they are a passable 'light' offroading tire. For $138 per, not a bad alternative to a 'normal' street tire.
Dogger - regardless of the wear issue, how did they perform offroad?

the 30,31,32 and 33 are 2 ply which does suck. as far as off road they did ok, they def dont hook up as good as the bfg ats. just for long term off roading i would have to say no. i go over a bunch of rocks since in colorado when on the trails. not sure how they will do on different kinda terrain though.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 PM

Year: 2000

I run the Falkens on my cherokee and really like them, had them on for a year now and still look new. Took them into some soupy mud with no problems and they go real good in the snow. When I first got them they felt real loose on the road but after I wore the newness off they stick really good. I would buy again if I don't go to a M/T.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:17 PM

I'm currently running the 30x9.5 Falken "High Country's" they're not real aggressive but they more than get the job done, I've been off roading a hand full of times nothing real intense but still handled there own just fine. I would recommend them based on a more appealing price than the BFG's or others. I wasted two of mine with a bent tie rod and the other two have some odd wear. Might go Treadwright next.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:29 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

I have 31 1050 15 and I love em for my dd
Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

I wish falken would come out with a mt tire
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

I just got a set of 31s last weekend, backing out of the tire shop it was soo smooth compared to my old bfg mts. Haven't taken them on any thing to test them off road yet. I researched ALOT before I decided on them, it was in between those and the Goodyear duratrac. My conclusion was other than the duratracs looking more aggressive, being pinned for studs and having the mountain snowflake symbol on the side and they perform similarly. Also the falkens have a 50,000 mile warranty. From what I found the rocky mountain ats and the wildpeak at are the same other than the name and you can only get the rocky mtns at discount/americas tire. If you try researching the wild peak you should have plenty of luck (check out the jk experience).