Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Failing transmission syncro?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Failing transmission syncro?

I have never had 5 speed issues like I am having with my Cherokee (AX). New clutch disc, pressure plate, hyd. release bearing assy x2, new master cylinder x2, and have bled over a quart of fluid to get the pedal to "come up". With the pedal fully depressed, it seems like the pressure plate is not fully disengaging the disc; it will not allow me to put the trans in ANY gear......reverse will grind. All I have left to replace is the flywheel and the trans.This will be the 3rd time Ive had the trans out and I dont want to replace the flywheel, put it all back together and it turn out to be the transmission. What are the symptoms of failing/ bad syncros? Yes, I know I can get a JY trans for pretty cheap. My issue is time and money.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

If its not going in any gear its not the syncros. They dont just go, they wear over time and its usually a couple gears, not all.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:59 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: Buzzen half dozen 4.0l

Not to question you but bleading a clutch is like bleadiing brakes. Pump 10xs have hold it then release the bleading valve on the trans. Try again before redoing everything
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
If its not going in any gear its not the syncros. They dont just go, they wear over time and its usually a couple gears, not all.

Thats what I figured, just had to ask. Do you think having had the old flywheel machined could lead to this issue?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Asphalt Cowboy
Not to question you but bleading a clutch is like bleadiing brakes. Pump 10xs have hold it then release the bleading valve on the trans. Try again before redoing everything
Yeah, Ive done that, prolly close to a half dozen time already. I used over a quart of fluid doing so. There is no air in the system. When Im under it and the wife is pressing the pedal, I can hear the pressure plate squeaking as it moves, but its not completely disengaging. Its holding just enough to keep me from being able to put it in gear. Id hate to think it MIGHT be a bad pressure plate............it is a Duralast assembly....so that possibility exists too I suppose.