Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Failed Inspection - Driver Seat Belt Buckle

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Failed Inspection - Driver Seat Belt Buckle

My driver side buckle just went out on me. I was think of swapping one from the back seats just to get it passed??

Can anyone point me the right direction to find a used oem replacement?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by turkish_XJ
My driver side buckle just went out on me. I was think of swapping one from the back seats just to get it passed??

Can anyone point me the right direction to find a used oem replacement?
I had to do this in one of my 91's. Only problem with robbing the backseat one is that it's a Y buckle. Does both passenger and driver side rear seat. I still used it and tucked the passenger side one under the front seat. It was kinda hillbilly, but it worked. Other than that.....junkyard
Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

X2 on the junkyard, probably only cost a few bucks. Robbing one from the back (if it'll even work) just fixes one problem and creates another. Just my opinion, but I figure if your going to fix something, might as well do it right.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I'm sure someone on here has one for you. I had to change mine too a couple of months ago and found one here.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:07 PM

the yard i spoke to today just sold one and it was their last. I found some other listings but maybe i'll take trip up to the yard and get it cheaper.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I actually just had this issue myself, a tiny spring inside the buckle itself broke most likely its very cheap and not in the least suprising you can pop the buckle apart and take a look if you like a flat screwdriver on the back edge of the cover will pop it open, i also purchased one from a JY and it ran me 45$ what a rip off, but try and find on online new for cheaper. 160 plus from like JC whitney or the like and you have to buy retractor and all save yourself the time and go to a jy, try to find a jeep jy if you can. I was lucky enough to have one around here and they even had one the same color. I have a 94 and it came off a 91 so interchange is great but the 91 had no wire possibly it was from the passenger side but no more annoying light or buzz and it bolts right in.
The biggest problem i found with robbing a belt from the back is that as you said the way they are made which if you steal 1 from the back you are actually losing not 1 seatbelt back there but 2.

Last edited by almostgotacj; 12-01-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by almostgotacj
I actually just had this issue myself, a tiny spring inside the buckle itself broke most likely its very cheap and not in the least suprising you can pop the buckle apart and take a look if you like a flat screwdriver on the back edge of the cover will pop it open, i also purchased one from a JY and it ran me 45$ what a rip off, but try and find on online new for cheaper. 160 plus from like JC whitney or the like and you have to buy retractor and all save yourself the time and go to a jy, try to find a jeep jy if you can. I was lucky enough to have one around here and they even had one the same color. I have a 94 and it came off a 91 so interchange is great but the 91 had no wire possibly it was from the passenger side but no more annoying light or buzz and it bolts right in.
The biggest problem i found with robbing a belt from the back is that as you said the way they are made which if you steal 1 from the back you are actually losing not 1 seatbelt back there but 2.

I just bought one of these from the JY two days ago for $45, I felt totally bent over. At least I didn't have to pull it myself for that price.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Same deal for me didnt have to pull it either, the one out in the jy were all cable type as well not the belt type i needed anyhow, always on the lookout for good jy finds so had to look anyway.