Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Extremely hot air in the cab?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 cylinders
Default Extremely hot air in the cab?

I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee sport.

During the summer, if I open the ventilation in the cab, I have extremely hot air blowing on me, even if the temperature is on low.

Unfortunately the hose blowing to the driver's feet is constantly open so I have to drive with hot air on me during the summer.....

I think the air is passing through the engine and heats up. If the engine is cold, also the air is so.

Is this normal? Is there a way to change the air path for the hot season (I know some cars have this option)?

Thanks,

Qwain
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the air will pass through the engine, this is why if you are overheating it is wise to turn your heater on as it will release some of the engine heat into the cab. The flaps closing the vents are probably not working properly I would check into that first thing, but keep in mind its not going to be perfect I think most jeeps have this problem.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I believe the air is coming from right infront of the windshield through the wiper cowl. The air coming out of your vents should be the same/similar temp to what is outside. Unless the A/C is on there is nothing to cool the air. As far as changing where the air comes from I do not believe this will help much as is doesnt matter where you put the air intake it will be the same temp as the outside air... which here in OKC has been 104*+ IF the air was to come from the engine compartment it would be scorching hot as the underhood temps of the Cherokees is pretty high.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

If you heater is stuck in the open position then yes the engine coolant is heating the air entering the vehicle.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

I used to always have hot air inside with me...but then i got HER her own Cherokee.

When you move the temperature selector...does it seem like it's moving anything?
Check under the dash on passenger's side. The cable that controls the "temp" door is located there. Check to see that the cable end has not come undone from the door lever.