Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Expandable Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Expandable Suspension

Being so new to this Jeep lifestyle, I often wonder if the modifications I have planned are worthwhile or practical. I'd like to get a lift kit that I can upgrade in the future. Let me know if this setup makes sense...

I am really liking the RE 3.5" Super Flex with full 3.5" leaves, no add a leaf. It seems like a good beginner height. Doing some reading, it seems as if I can upgrade this kit with other components.

Can I take this kit and add a long arm kit, JKS adjustable coil spacers, and some 1" shackles to bump it up in the future? Is there a downside to this setup? I currently have enough money for the 3.5 and am seriously considering it.

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by TWXJ97
Being so new to this Jeep lifestyle, I often wonder if the modifications I have planned are worthwhile or practical. I'd like to get a lift kit that I can upgrade in the future. Let me know if this setup makes sense...

I am really liking the RE 3.5" Super Flex with full 3.5" leaves, no add a leaf. It seems like a good beginner height. Doing some reading, it seems as if I can upgrade this kit with other components.

Can I take this kit and add a long arm kit, JKS adjustable coil spacers, and some 1" shackles to bump it up in the future? Is there a downside to this setup? I currently have enough money for the 3.5 and am seriously considering it.

Thanks.
yep its all upgradeable. RE3.5 is a great kit also. rides great unlike numerous other companies out there.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
yep its all upgradeable. RE3.5 is a great kit also. rides great unlike numerous other companies out there.
Awesome! Thanks for the response. You've solved my dilemma.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Yup you can definately do that. The only thing you may run in to in the future adding things is you may have to buy new shocks (depends on what all you add) and maybe add some steering components. but that is all stuff you would want to do anyways to maintaing a good ride quality. good luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by dans01classic
Yup you can definately do that. The only thing you may run in to in the future adding things is you may have to buy new shocks (depends on what all you add) and maybe add some steering components. but that is all stuff you would want to do anyways to maintaing a good ride quality. good luck!
I do expect to run into surprises eventually. I know if I go past 3.5 I'll want to look into long arms, SYE etc. I may find that 3.5 is perfect. I've never had a lifted vehicle so I'm unsure if an upgrade will be in the cards. It makes me feel better knowing upgrades are a possibility.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by TWXJ97
I do expect to run into surprises eventually. I know if I go past 3.5 I'll want to look into long arms, SYE etc. I may find that 3.5 is perfect. I've never had a lifted vehicle so I'm unsure if an upgrade will be in the cards. It makes me feel better knowing upgrades are a possibility.
it will only take a couple of months and you wont think its big enough anymore. Especialy if you do a lot of wheeling with it. It happens to everybody.lol

Good Luck!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:17 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

I've have the 3.5" superflex for a few years now and I'm still netting 4" rear and 4 1/4" front lift. Great kit, the flex is awesome.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by RENIXBEAST
I've have the 3.5" superflex for a few years now and I'm still netting 4" rear and 4 1/4" front lift. Great kit, the flex is awesome.
I guess your sig says it all.. 3.5 with 2" spacers and shackles, cool. So now you're somewhere around 5.5?