Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exhaust smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Exhaust smoke

I get a little blueish smoke when sitting idle at normal running temp. I was told to put a can of Seafoam in the oil to clean up the seals around the head. I've never heard of the Seafoam in the oil so I'm not confident it will work. Any suggestions?
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)

Originally Posted by Bradford97
I get a little blueish smoke when sitting idle at normal running temp. I was told to put a can of Seafoam in the oil to clean up the seals around the head. I've never heard of the Seafoam in the oil so I'm not confident it will work. Any suggestions?
I ran seafoam in my fuel, in my crank-case, and the seafoam throttle body/manifold/injector cleaner into the throttle body directly. My engine has 244k, so those naysayers who say, "Don't do it on an old engine, it will make the old seals and such worse" are not correct in my case at least. After seafoaming in the throttle body, noticed a smoother idle, throttle response was increased, and after running it through a full tank of standard grade (87 octane regular cheap stuff) I pulled my injectors and noticed a pretty large difference in how much sludge and stuff was present. The throttle body treatment also removes carbon deposits from the engine, but I'm not tearing my 4.0 apart to check if it did. Haha.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:46 AM

Year: 1996

I have used seafoam many times. Gas tank, crank case, and through the vac line. Works like a charm. Although when I add it to my oil I do it right before a oil change. I have read not to leave it in too long. It may hurt the seals....but only read it. Never had a problem. So don't take my word on it. But I know it works well.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:51 AM

Year: 1996

I have used marvels mystery oil in the oil to help the seals. Worked on my integra. Had an oil leak and it disappeared. I would recomend that as well. I add a little almost every oil change. My XJ doesn't leak nor smoke. 160k on it. Purrs like a kitten too.