Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power loss diagnostic

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)
Default Power loss diagnostic

Every once in a blue moon, my cherokee (1994, 244k country edition) will start just fine, but when I put her into overdrive it'll then idle a bit low and when I give it some gas, will not move at all. Engine doesn't even rev with the added fuel I'm sending. This lasts just for about ten seconds, then she'll level out idle wise and run and go like normal. It doesn't stumble or anything, just stays at it's weird low idle. I believe this usually happens after it has sat shut off in the rain for a few hours or in a really damp place. Any ideas??
Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry
Every once in a blue moon, my cherokee (1994, 244k country edition) will start just fine, but when I put her into overdrive it'll then idle a bit low and when I give it some gas, will not move at all. Engine doesn't even rev with the added fuel I'm sending. This lasts just for about ten seconds, then she'll level out idle wise and run and go like normal. It doesn't stumble or anything, just stays at it's weird low idle. I believe this usually happens after it has sat shut off in the rain for a few hours or in a really damp place. Any ideas??
Check your throttle position sensor. I had a similar issue...after it rained it would idle terribly, that's what it turned out to be. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)

Originally Posted by CattyXJ
Check your throttle position sensor. I had a similar issue...after it rained it would idle terribly, that's what it turned out to be. Good luck.

Thanks, was planning on pulling that and the IAC and cleaning them both to get that cheap/easy attempt done
Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

idk the 94's to specifically, but i know they have a TPS and that is a good place to start. but before you put any money into it, get it on a code reader! even if the CEL isnt on, there might be a code stored in there that will give you a direction to go in... its prob not the CPS, cause they generally just fail, but thats not a rule c youd have either a MAP or MAF or something of the nature that could be the culprit. maybe your 02 sensor/s? o2's can cause a loss of power, hesitation and near stalling symptoms... doubt if its kickdown cable related, but ya never know...
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by CherokeeCountry

Thanks, was planning on pulling that and the IAC and cleaning them both to get that cheap/easy attempt done
You can clean the IAC but you can only replace the TPS. Still on the cheap side...$35 at autozone.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

did the 94's have an IAC? and why clean it? a lot of times with these old components ya gotta just go new. which is ok, cause most of these parts are pretty affordable...