Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exhaust Manifold - Repair or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L V6
Post Exhaust Manifold - Repair or Replace?

Hopped in the Jeep a few days ago to discover an ungodly loud rattle of what sounded like my exhaust pipe directly beneath the gear selector. Upon inspecting all the attachments to the exhaust and finding nothing wrong, I made my way up to the exhaust manifold. Turns out I've a crack in the inboard pipe right where it meets the adapter to connect to the exhaust pipe.
At this point I'm not sure whether I want to replace the whole manifold or just see if I can find a cheap patch for it. I'm not sure, but I'd assume its the original manifold since I know its the original engine and tranny on board. At 234,000 miles, it's served its time.
My question for y'all is if I do decide to go with a new manifold, does anyone have any recommendations for what type? I've been scanning the forums, and caught some bad vibe on Borlas and Banks brand as they tend to crack easily like the cheaper ones you can buy from Advance Auto or Autozone. I'm not looking to shell out a ton of money on this project, but want the job done right the first time so I can crank another 234,000 miles onto it.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L 6Cyl, K&N, 62mm TB, Electric Fans, D Neon Injectors, Head gasket needing replaced.

I recommend the Banks, but OEM is about $300 cheaper. If you wanna go cheap, get the OEM and replace the motor mounts and check all your exhaust hangers to make sure that they aren't stretched out. Maybe a new trans mount also. You can do all that for less than the price of the Banks header.

At +230K miles, I would replace those items anyway. At that mileage the CAT will probably rattle also.

Also, only get the Banks if your planning other mods (air intake, bored TB, and high-flow exhaust).
Old 04-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

I replaced mine (which had been patched and welded a few times) with an APN header, around 170 bucks with new bolts.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Just replaced mine with APN but you might like to look at this as well.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 AM

Appreciate the suggestions, I've certainly been pricing these guys out online. It'll be the first time I've really "dug into" my engine on a more complex job, so alittle hesitant with all the work that seems to go into it since it's my only driver. Looking forward to a challenge though!

On a side note, I had a buddy suggest using alittle JB Weld on it since it was such a small crack. Anyone had any luck with this or opinion to it? Hell of alot cheaper than buying a new one, especially if it works. My concern is it holding up to the temperatures.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 AM

Year: 1997 & 1998

I had to deal with a cracked manifold on the wife's XJ recently. I had welded it and it didn't hold long. Another crack developed also. It was finally replaced. I've heard from several mechanics that the welds often don't hold on these manifolds for the same reason that they crack so often in the first place, no flex in them by design. I wouldn't waste my time with the JB Weld. Whether you go with an OEM replacement or aftermarket better one, get rid of it.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by wjnfirearms
I've heard from several mechanics that the welds often don't hold on these manifolds for the same reason that they crack so often in the first place, no flex in them
I have been considering adding a flex joint after the header when I replace mine this summer. Has anyone done this?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Year: '93
Engine: 4.0L straight-6

Originally Posted by McHank
I replaced mine (which had been patched and welded a few times) with an APN header, around 170 bucks with new bolts.
Originally Posted by BotakBeng
Just replaced mine with APN but you might like to look at this as well.

I have heard alot about these APN Headers , any positives/negatives to share with the rest of us?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

They're "great" compared to my crack factory manifold.
China or Taiwan made.

I would have gone with 1ATony's but i couldn't wait for his reply.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Appreciate all the posts everyone got back to me with. I ended up using a patch "glue" to seal the small crack. Also replaced one of the hangars that I originally thought was good. Turns out it was rusted through (couldnt see unless I got right underneath it) and allowing the muffler to sit on the tranny mount. After replacing that, it doesnt rattle anymore and I'm guessing thats what formed the crack from excessive vibrations. So far, so good!