Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Everything was going pretty smooth, then...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Everything was going pretty smooth, then...

I tried to re-install the fuel pump and it's turning into a fist fight.

I'm pretty sure the fuel screen and float are installed correctly but it seems I can get two of the three retainer tabs over the flange on the pump carrier bracket but the third won't go. It feels like the screen or something is bottoming out in the tank and it just won't move the extra 1/4" I need to seat the flange.

What am I doing wrong??
Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Do you have the gasket behind the fuel pump assembly? Did you rotate the filter sock the right way? There is a little tab that would stop the filter sock in the right position when it has been rotated to the right position. If that doesn't work, try pulling the pump out and sliding it back in attempting to get the difficult side in flush first. Also, there are two tabs that keep the filter assembly from rotating. One is at 6:00 and one is at 11:00. Is your pump going into those tabs fully? I had to clean a lot of dirt from those tabs to seat my full pump completely.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by a.dickens
Do you have the gasket behind the fuel pump assembly? Did you rotate the filter sock the right way? There is a little tab that would stop the filter sock in the right position when it has been rotated to the right position. If that doesn't work, try pulling the pump out and sliding it back in attempting to get the difficult side in flush first. Also, there are two tabs that keep the filter assembly from rotating. One is at 6:00 and one is at 11:00. Is your pump going into those tabs fully? I had to clean a lot of dirt from those tabs to seat my full pump completely.

Good luck.

Ahhh, there is joy in Jeepville. It runs.

I think all it wanted me to do was pull the thing out again and stop calling it a worthless SOB, etc.

I didn't do anything different except take it out and put it back in. No clue why it went this time. But, it's buttoned up and back on the road.

Just noticed my parts bill, though. $20 for an Airtex fuel strainer. It's a 50 cent part and $19.50 for the "lifetime warranty". I've got chickens that produce plenty of the same thing and their's is just as annoying.

Thanks for the help to all - and it really was helpful having this forum. You can do this stuff on your own but it's not nearly as much fun...and it can take a whole lot longer to get done.