Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Evap purge solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Evap purge solenoid

So im starting to connect a few dots to why i may be getting bad gas mileage and my rev hang problem. So this morning and i notice it everytime i fill up with gas, It rev hangs and seems to chew through the first quarter of a tank in 20 miles. Max range i got last time was 120 miles out of a full tank of gas. Well a few months back my cel came on for a faulty evap purge solenoid, But after a while it went away but im still wondering could it still have issues and maybe causing a slight vacuum leak if it isnt opening/closing correctly? When i fill up with gas and say tap the gas pedal on normal circumstances it should drop back down to idle not hover at 1500 rpms for 2 seconds then drop down slowly. Could this be a possibility? its completely random when this happens, No noises that i can hear and some days its very peppy (and when i notice the mpg drastically increases) and others like when i fill up i have to dig into the gas pedal to make it go like im towing a trailer it feels like somethings holding it back. Maybe the valve isnt doing what its supposed to and dumping alot of gas vapor into the engine causing the fuel readings to spike off the charts? I have no cel now but its making me curious now because when the cel was on on initial startup and i take off it bogs down but if i stab the gas itll clear up and go. Im tempted to change it because i dont believe my vacuum system is leaking badly because if i let my jeep sit for like a day and i disconnect the t fitting to the cruise servo i get a loud vacuum sound when doing so so i dont think it has a leak.