Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Wiring Harness Problems

Old 04-15-2015, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy Engine Wiring Harness Problems

I am a rural mail carrier and in September I bought a 1998 Cherokee SE factory right hand drive that supposedly needed a timing belt to run properly again. We bought the timing belt and installed it but it stumbled once the engine heated up. We changed most of the sensors, bought new spark plugs and wires, and finally rebuilt the top end, all with no success. It still stumbles. Finally sent it to a shop, where they diagnosed that we need a new engine wiring harness. The part # for the one piece engine harness is 5600-9776, which of course is not made anymore. I have searched all over the internet and do not know where to turn to anymore. Has anyone tried to use a LHD engine harness with a RHD vehicle? Anyone know where to get in touch with junkyards that sell RHD parts?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Does it need to be longer or is it different all together?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:18 PM

According to the shop manual there are some differences. I was hoping someone here had run into the same problem and might have some answers on where to get an original, or had tried the LHD wiring harness.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:54 AM

Shot in the dark, but when looking for the engine harness online or during part searches. Did you check under European Parts? May be your best bet for an aftermarket since the vehicle's are RHD.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by jaryz
I am a rural mail carrier and in September I bought a 1998 Cherokee SE factory right hand drive that supposedly needed a timing belt to run properly again. We bought the timing belt and installed it but it stumbled once the engine heated up. We changed most of the sensors, bought new spark plugs and wires, and finally rebuilt the top end, all with no success. It still stumbles. Finally sent it to a shop, where they diagnosed that we need a new engine wiring harness. The part # for the one piece engine harness is 5600-9776, which of course is not made anymore. I have searched all over the internet and do not know where to turn to anymore. Has anyone tried to use a LHD engine harness with a RHD vehicle? Anyone know where to get in touch with junkyards that sell RHD parts?
Did these rocket scientists say what exactly is wrong with the harness. It's hard to believe that an entire harness could be bad. I would suspect that there may be a few, or one, chafed or broken wire(s) in the harness.

What engine is this that needs a "Timing Belt"? Do you mean Timing Chain?

See if you can get the Diagnostic Trouble Codes read at an auto parts store (free) and post the numbers here. Someone should be able to help you troubleshoot the problem(s).
The following users liked this post:
mbrondt (10-03-2020)
Old 04-21-2015, 06:26 AM

The shop is having a hard time getting it to display codes because there is no communication. I'm sending the wiring harness out to get it rebuilt.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a shop that just want to bother with finding the problem and them fixing it. A sad thing these days in some shops they are "Parts Replacers ONLY" JMHO and I could be wrong.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Sounds like a shop that just want to bother with finding the problem and them fixing it. A sad thing these days in some shops they are "Parts Replacers ONLY" JMHO and I could be wrong.

I think you may be right.

No communication at the DLC may just be corrosion in the DLC SCI pin cavities, or corrosion at G102.

Name:  SCIRECV_TRANSMIT.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  80.8 KB
Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 PM

The wiring harness looks pretty crappy, and it's very hard to separate the individual wires from each other. We thought that might be the problem but wanted to take it to a shop with sophisticated scanners to see if we could pinpoint it. I don't mind spending the money to have it rebuilt because I run a rural mail route with sugar sand roads and mudholes, bears and rattlesnakes and all manner of people, both good and bad. Having a dependable 4WD is a MUST! If I can get this vehicle in good running order it will be my backup to the 95 Cherokee RHD 4X4 I have now. Between the 2 of them I should have it covered.