Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

engine sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default engine sputtering

This only seems to happen when im in 4th/5th gear, i'll be going along continuing to get up to speed, and it will just cut off, like the fuel is being cut off for a 1sec at a time. I'm thinking bad fuel filter, or fuel pump isnt pumping fast enough or something? I just got done running seafoam and cleaning out the injectors and such too. Any ideas?

Thanks.

p.s. - it only really seems to do this while im still gaining speed, not when im coastin down the highway doing 75.. just getting to 75 is the issue.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:18 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by suzuki squid
This only seems to happen when im in 4th/5th gear, i'll be going along continuing to get up to speed, and it will just cut off, like the fuel is being cut off for a 1sec at a time. I'm thinking bad fuel filter, or fuel pump isnt pumping fast enough or something? I just got done running seafoam and cleaning out the injectors and such too. Any ideas?

Thanks.

p.s. - it only really seems to do this while im still gaining speed, not when im coastin down the highway doing 75.. just getting to 75 is the issue.
I would probably replace the fuel filter and start there. It almost sounds like you've got air in the system, but then it would cut out when you were cruising too...hmm...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: Renix 4.0

yeah, i was thinking the filter too, but why would it only do it in 4/5th gear while gaining speed, and its usually right after i shift to the upper gear, it kinda sputters a few times. it might have happened in 3rd a couple times, but definitely way more in 4/5th..
Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by suzuki squid
yeah, i was thinking the filter too, but why would it only do it in 4/5th gear while gaining speed, and its usually right after i shift to the upper gear, it kinda sputters a few times. it might have happened in 3rd a couple times, but definitely way more in 4/5th..
Maybe because you have less load on the motor?? I'm not really sure...that's a good question. Maybe some of our more seasoned members can chime in and help me. (and you) lol
Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 AM

I would start with the fuel filter and go from there. Its probably quite a bit nastier than you think.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I gotta think that's it's MORE than a coincidence that this happened after the Seafoam. Were you having problems BEFORE the Seafoam, and that's why you put it in? Or were you just doing your regulr maintenance and trying to up the gas mileage and throttle response? Was this the first time Seafoam has ever been through your ride?
You might want to go systematic with your checking and start simple with pulling a plug to check for fouling. You can pull the O2 sensor out of the Cat and hit it with some steel wool. Sometimes they can foul out.
Just a few easy things to check before you get all involved with pulling things apart.
Good- luck and always look for the easy stuff first-
Billy
Old 03-13-2010, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by msedly
I would start with the fuel filter and go from there. Its probably quite a bit nastier than you think.
Yeah, and the Fuel filter too- nice cheap and easy part of the regular maintanence that probably needs to be done anyway.

You might also want to think about pulling off the air filter (if it's nice out)and drivin it like that to see if the air is being restricted. Of course, I stress, no dirt roads or rainy days.
Again-
Good-luck

Billy