Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Running,Tilted the wheel, Engine DIES

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Engine Running,Tilted the wheel, Engine DIES

While fixing my Door that would open i had my jeep running for heat.I Tilted the steering wheel on my 96 XJ and the engine died immediately, no fumbling then die. Sounded like wires were frozen in my column and when i tilted it they all crunched. Tried to start it while tilled all the way up (thats where i tiled it to and it died) and it wouldn't start.

Tilted it back to strait (where it normally sits) Its starts up but with hesitation like there was gas in it from where i tried to start it while tilted up.
Im thinking wiring to my ignition froze up and broke the conductor in the wire. Then when i straightened it back up it got connection and started.

WHOS GOT OPINIONS FOR ME??? I dont want to change my whole column and have a separate key from doors to ignition. But ive heard its cheaper and easier to do than an ignition switch.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You need to get a repair harness from the dealer for the ignition switch, you might even need a new switch. The new repair harness has heavier gage wire to handle the heat.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:08 PM
CF Veteran

Heat??? Never had probs untill it got cold out. 2 dyas ago. I tiled the wheel just last week to clean stuff. Then it got cold i did it again and this happened. Repair harness is it hard to install. I dont think i need a swith ive had no problems except for this and it starts right up after i straighten the wheel and let it run for a sec. It starts fine but i havent tilted the wheel since
Old 01-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Plastic wire insulation flexing and cold do not mix
Old 01-14-2012, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by stockli
Plastic wire insulation flexing and cold do not mix
Fried and brittle wire insulation + cold make for a bad mix.
The heat I'm talking about is from the high resistance in the smaller gage wire that was used. There was a Chrysler TSB back in 94ish about the ignition switch harness wires getting hot and actually melting the lower steering column cover. The fix was to splice in a repair harness and replace the switch if the terminals were burnt.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

I looked inton what your talking about. Found some threads about it. So its a dealer part? Ill open up the column tomorrow. and Give the dealer a call.
Old 09-04-2023, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnguyen7
While fixing my Door that would open i had my jeep running for heat.I Tilted the steering wheel on my 96 XJ and the engine died immediately, no fumbling then die. Sounded like wires were frozen in my column and when i tilted it they all crunched. Tried to start it while tilled all the way up (thats where i tiled it to and it died) and it wouldn't start.

Tilted it back to strait (where it normally sits) Its starts up but with hesitation like there was gas in it from where i tried to start it while tilted up.
Im thinking wiring to my ignition froze up and broke the conductor in the wire. Then when i straightened it back up it got connection and started.

WHOS GOT OPINIONS FOR ME??? I dont want to change my whole column and have a separate key from doors to ignition. But ive heard its cheaper and easier to do than an ignition switch.

what was the TSB?