Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

::Engine replacement question *manual trans* ::

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ::Engine replacement question *manual trans* ::

Hey everyone. Driving home tonight my motor took a dump. I have had a rusted block for a while and have over heated a few times and have to get towed.

I am to the point financially where i would rather just drop some coin on a new motor and replace the old one.

I am not sure if I will go with a stroker or not.

I am confident in my ability to buy an engine hoist and take apart the front clip, remove everything off the motor and pull it. My question is.... will my having the ax15 Manual Trans make this more difficult? If I leave the trans installed, and just pull the motor, will I have to deal with clutch alignment and all that. I tell myself I can do this swap myself and then I go through it all and get to the part where I install the new motor and I have second thoughts.

PLEASE HELP! I need to get my Jeep back on the road with a reliable motor.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I think it makes it easier having a manual trans to be honest, but I have never owned an automatic trans and they seem very mysterious (jk)

Anyways, I have never pulled the motor in the Jeep, but when I pulled the transmission out it turned out to be a HUGE pain in the rear to get it mated back up, and I was even using a transmission jack that had a ton of adjustment. I was doing it by myself though which I am sure made it exponentially more difficult.

I would think that pulling the transmission out would not be that hard with the motor connected, minimal electronics going to the transmission (I think there was like 2 plugs), and I removed the t-case without too much issue other than it almost falling on my head

EDIT:
For engines, you have a couple options (depending on if you want to keep your Jeep for a while)

1. Stock junkyard/working pull (fairly cheap, like $200-400 in most cases)
2. Stock rebuilt (not really that cheap, figure around $2000 for a good one like Promar)
3. Stroker ($3000-4000 depending on options)

Honestly, if I was broke I would go for a junkyard or part-out motor. Otherwise, I would probably open a credit card and buy a stroker. Get zero interest and pay it off quick (if you are like me and hate having debt)

Last edited by investinwaffles; 04-25-2017 at 08:07 PM.