Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

engine replacement opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default engine replacement opinions

98 xj 140,000mi.

So after much denial and searching, it has been determined that my engine has rod knock. It is not severe, so i am sure i can get a good bit of life left out of it, so in the mean time, i will be saving money.

I have spent a lot of time getting quotes and estimates, and at no point will i be able to afford a reman/ or a rebuild. It just isn't cost effective for me. I would sell the Jeep and get something else. So, that being said, I want to get you guys opinion on this.

I have a very good friend, who is an even better mechanic who works with a junkyard. He said he would be able to get me an engine from the yard, but he will thoroughly inspect it to assure that it is in good condition for about $500, and will swap it in for next to nothing. What do you guys think of this?

I have heard so many stories of replacement engines never running right. Anyone have any experience with junkyard engines? I am confident that he will give me a good engine, but will it work well in the Jeep? Am i going to have to replace all of the sensors ?

Any input will help. I am just thinking over all the possible scenarios in the situation.

Thanks

P.S., I cannot have him do a rebuild. I asked him, and he said he would do it, but he works 80hrs. a week and just doesnt have the time
Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

For a vehicle of this age, a replacement salvage yard engine is a very good option to consider.

I have done many of these in the past 39 years and only have been burned on one. And that one came with a warranty so all I was out was my labor to swap in a different one which ran fine.

I'd seriously consider going this route. It is very cost effective. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

Most reputable salvage yards will test run an engine before they pull it. If the vehicle is so severely wrecked that the engine can't be run they will sell at a discount or 30 day trial. They are supposed to supply the vin number when you look at the motor. So do a $10 vin check before you buy. You can also do a FREE vin check with Chrysler and it will show all dealer service records!
Some other things you can do:
1. turn engine over with wrench at crankshaft pulley
2. pull spark plugs
3. look at dipstick color
4. Use a big screwdriver to check crankshaft endplay
5. look inside valve cover
6. wipe your finger inside the the exhaust to check for oily soot
7. Look on the inside of water pump outlet for corrosion

IMO you are more likely to run into startup problems with a rebuilt engine.

Last edited by bigbadon; 01-22-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I would trust a good used 4.0 over a reman any day when you consider most stock of them will go 250,000 mi. easy. Try to get your exact year the 99's were a change over year plus the 2001-01 were different also.

The reason I know I have one also and worked through several of there issues. If possible buy a complete engine everything long block, pan, intake, exhaust, dist, to injection and harness. All of these are nice to have at hand if needed.

One reason I say this is I just bought one for my 99 complete because mine has 220,000 but running strong still, leaks a little oil (rear main). It was $600 112,000 on it with a complete engine wiring harness, just for insurance if when mine goes.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
The reason I know I have one also and worked through several of there issues. If possible buy a complete engine everything long block, pan, intake, exhaust, dist, to injection and harness. All of these are nice to have at hand if needed.
That is another strong point for choosing a salvage engine. A good salvage yard will cherry pick good motors and price accordinfly,so don't always go by mileage. I had four 2004 motors to choose from all priced the same but mileage ranging from 83k to 138k. I choose the 138k b/c after I ran the vin check I found it to be a one owner who had it regularly serviced by dealer. Dealer service records(available for free) also came up clean with no issues.