Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 90
Model: Cherokee
Engine: seized
Default Engine Replacement

There's a 1990 manual transmission XJ with a seized engine in my possession. I'm doing an engine replacement and need a few tips. First is who to buy the engine through. I found S and J engines out of Spokane Washington who seem to know what they're talking about. I'm going with the 4.0 242. Not the stroker. While I'm putting in a brand new engine, what should I look at replacing as well? I.e. alternator, water pump, motor and tranny mounts
Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Find a junk yard motor, or find an XJ on craigslist and take that motor.

Going with a brand new motor is unnecessary.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM

I can't speak anything for the company you want to source the motor from, but I recently replaced the long block in my 2000 xj with an engine from Portland Engine Rebuilders.

Anyway when we swapped it, I had the injectors rebuilt, new serpentine belt, plugs, plug boots, new rad and hoses, water pump, t-stat and fan clutch... I think thats it. other than like the fluids and air filter and stuff.

We never changed the motor mounts, tranny mounts, or alternator to answer your question
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Where on teh engine, lots of debate on that, search the forum to find many Q/A's on that one.
what to replace in addition really depends on condition of the rest of the vehicle.
I would definitely make sure the cooling system is in top shape to keep the new motor happy (pump, thermo, radiator,hoses)
Check the clutch while there
Tune up parts - filters, plugs, cap/rotor, wires
Depending on how long sitting, fresh gas might be in order

More info on the car would help with what else might need some TLC
You should make sure you know why the motor seized and if needed fix that part (goes without saying but just had to)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Find a junk yard motor, or find an XJ on craigslist and take that motor.

Going with a brand new motor is unnecessary.
I hope its different where you are, but a jy motor around me was 1000$ with 125k on it, and only 1600 for a completely remanned motor with warranty. I could justify spending the extra $$
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CRP.NWJEEP
I hope its different where you are, but a jy motor around me was 1000$ with 125k on it, and only 1600 for a completely remanned motor with warranty. I could justify spending the extra $$
Brand new motor is $1800 with 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. Junkyard is $1000 with no warranty. The motor mounts need replacing I'm replacing the clutch and pressure plate. North Dakota may nit be hot now but the cooling system I'll definitely need for summer. I'd like to put in new with a new engine while I have it out so I'm thinking fan clutch, belts, water pump. New radiator and heater core? Should i just run down to the auto parts store and say hey here's everything I need? A friend used it for a month and noticed an extreme knocking sound. When I got it back, found a bad oil pump. 2 connecting rods were cracked and one was welded to the crank. Yay for best friends with no mechanical sense
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by CRP.NWJEEP
Yeah. Its apparently is VERY different. MUCH cheaper.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by BigStrongVikingBaby
Brand new motor is $1800 with 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. Junkyard is $1000 with no warranty. The motor mounts need replacing I'm replacing the clutch and pressure plate. North Dakota may nit be hot now but the cooling system I'll definitely need for summer. I'd like to put in new with a new engine while I have it out so I'm thinking fan clutch, belts, water pump. New radiator and heater core? Should i just run down to the auto parts store and say hey here's everything I need? A friend used it for a month and noticed an extreme knocking sound. When I got it back, found a bad oil pump. 2 connecting rods were cracked and one was welded to the crank. Yay for best friends with no mechanical sense
Whos this thru ?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I would definitely change the motor mounts with a good quality set from brown dog. Don't forget the transmission mount also. You may also want to look into an aftermarket header. If yours hasn't cracked yet it might in the near future.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by KD4315
I would definitely change the motor mounts with a good quality set from brown dog. Don't forget the transmission mount also. You may also want to look into an aftermarket header. If yours hasn't cracked yet it might in the near future.
Thus is the info I was looking for. Things that will most likely be going bad soon anyways
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM

I think I've got a good list of things to gather for the swap. Is there any detailed step by step for the engine replacement here in the forums?