Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Engine Problems

Ok so I was driving down the highway yesterday all was fine then all of a sudden my engine started to sputter and lose all power.until it died..i put my jeep in nutral and continued to coast down the hill..while coasting down the hill my speedo came back so i turned the key and it started back up...what could be causing this problem?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Fuel pump. Or a blob of water got passed. Or dirt in gas. Or bad dist. cap/rotor. Or bent dist. shaft (not likely).

Or it saw Al Gore hitchhiking in a Speedo and puked.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Year: 2001

Not that this is definitly your problem but it is something to check, make sure that the mounting bolts for your computer are not contacting the inside fenderwell, if they are, shorten them by as much as possible. The reason for this causing a problem is the bolts wear through the paint on the inside of the fenderwell and ground out the computer thus shorting it out. Just something to be mindful of.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 45shutr
Not that this is definitly your problem but it is something to check, make sure that the mounting bolts for your computer are not contacting the inside fenderwell, if they are, shorten them by as much as possible. The reason for this causing a problem is the bolts wear through the paint on the inside of the fenderwell and ground out the computer thus shorting it out. Just something to be mindful of.
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. If the manufacture was concerned about the computer shorting out to ground they wouldn't rely on paint insulating it from ground.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, yeah im thinking al gore for sure. or your cam sensor may be going out
Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Originally Posted by Cherockee
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. If the manufacture was concerned about the computer shorting out to ground they wouldn't rely on paint insulating it from ground.
Name:  nutkick.gif
Views: 106
Size:  14.4 KB You haven't been around very long have you ,this has been a proven problem on some jeeps there einstien.The main problem is sometimes to long of bolt was used.
Attached Images  

Last edited by rich; 09-27-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:25 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L (242 CID) I6 MPI "Power Tech"

Originally Posted by CAEMI
Or it saw Al Gore hitchhiking in a Speedo and puked.
hahahhaa
Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cherockee
It was an oversight from Jeep, do you really think that they would be relying on paint to insulate something? Think about it before coming out right with a brainless comment such as that. Jeep received mounting hardware that was too long from their supplier, used it anyways, and thus when the rubber mounts that insulate the computer from vibration wore out after a few years of heat and use, those mounts would sag therefore allowing the bolts that were too long from the factory to contact and rub through the paint and short out the computer intermitently. Common symptoms include, sputtering, and stalling.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

I'm fairly knowledgable about vehicles and Jeeps in particular. I've owned several XJs and I've been a member of several forums for many years and I've never heard of anyone refering to this problem ever before- ever. Sounds made up to me, given my extensive experience.

So, I would have to ask, what specific years did this begin occuring in, and when was it discovered to be a problem?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

cherocokee what makes you such a expert? Ihave heard of this problem a few times b4, although I do not think it is the op problem, just want to know y u think you are right, and everyone else is wrong?

OP you said your speedometer came back on? Do you mean the speedo died completely, but you were still moving? Maybe you should check all your grounds and the batt connections to start.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

never said i was an expert, just that i was very knowledgeable. there are no rubber vibration insulators, but there are plastic electrical ground isolators. it's more likely that somewhere along the way a "mechanic" that worked on the jeep lost the correct bolts for the ecm and replaced them with ones that were too long. Or maybe this is just a west coast problem. IDK

at least i'm mature enough not to engage in name calling.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
cherocokee what makes you such a expert? Ihave heard of this problem a few times b4, although I do not think it is the op problem, just want to know y u think you are right, and everyone else is wrong?

OP you said your speedometer came back on? Do you mean the speedo died completely, but you were still moving? Maybe you should check all your grounds and the batt connections to start.

bat connections are def my problem..parked my jeep today went in my buddies house and when i went to leave i had no power..pop'd the hood and gave my terminal connections a tap and presto it started...the connections on the wire are pretty bad so im gonna pick up so new connections tomorrow and hopefully that should fix the problem
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by 96Cherokee
bat connections are def my problem..parked my jeep today went in my buddies house and when i went to leave i had no power..pop'd the hood and gave my terminal connections a tap and presto it started...the connections on the wire are pretty bad so im gonna pick up so new connections tomorrow and hopefully that should fix the problem

it might be worth your while to use battery terminals that you actually soder to the cables .... im a mechanic and i have seen quite a few of aftermarket bolt on battery terminals cause a decent amount of corrosion ... the ones that you soder on seem to last alot longer and ensure a decent connection all of the time ... obviously you would want to wrap the new terminals as close to the actual post on the battery as possible to prevent future corrosion ... just my opinion ... lol im not claiming to be an expert or anything like that
Old 09-27-2010, 11:26 PM

Who is name calling, I said that the comment you made was brainless, not personally attacking you in any way. It was no more name calling than your comment of calling my post ridiculous. To come out and say that my post was "ridiculous" is argumentitive, if you have a problem with something so trivial I think that there might be underlying issues as your "west coast" comment implies. What I don't get is you said that my post was ridiculous because Jeep would never use paint as an isolator, not because you have never heard of this problem before, or because you think this is made up? So, what is it? What are we talking about then, are you just going to keep comming back grabbing at straws until something sticks? The fact remains, all symantics and jargon aside, rubber or plastic, it is an issue on certain Jeep vehicles and I have seen it posted as an issue before as confirmed by rich. Your entire demener in the whole manner is uncalled for and has managed to accoplish nothing other than to highjack this post. Next time maybe you can ask for clarification like a "mature adult" and I would be happy to explain my point of view, thus eliminating the need for this pissing contest. The fact that you have not seen it doesn't make it true or not, no matter how many Jeeps you have owned or how many other forums you belong to. But, let's assume for a second that you are right and this is all made up, I guarentee that to check for this problem would take no more than 3 minutes including opening and closing the hood. So what is all the fuss about anyhow, really? Anyhow here is one link that I had bookmarked from a long time ago documenting the problem. As far as remembering all the posts I have seen on this is impossible and you know it. Read about half way down the page. To the origonal creator of this thread, if I'm wrong and this is not your problem don't worry, it cost you nothing in time or money, but at least you ruled out at least one possible problem. Good Luck, I hope you fix your Jeep.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7811_102...7280&start=360
Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

My crank sensor made my ZJ run funky when I hit sharp edged bumps, my tach would drop and the engine bucked and then would run fine once I was on smooth road again. New sensor took care of it.