Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine noises...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output
Default Engine noises...

Ok so my 94 4.0 with 165k likes to make this noise that i think might be what i heard called "chatty lifters". When i start it or stop at a light or idle, whatever it will make a noise for a few seconds that sounds like its coming from the valve cover and the noise only lasts for a few seconds and then mysteriously goes away. I have some sea foam that im going to use when i fill it up here soon but i mean is there something that i can use to clean everything up? I'm using 10w-40 and have no problems so far other than this noise. As far as sea foam what just pour it in with my gas or whats the deal there?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Just follow the directions on the can. Best to use some directly in throttle body. I believe it's around 1/3 in TB and the rest in the gas tank.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I am not sure that putting sea foam in your gas tank would affect your lifters? I have used sea foam in my gas tank before but I would think that you would need to put it in your crankcase to get your lifters.

There are directions on the back for this procedure. I have read it is really potent stuff and you need to change your oil 100 miles or so after putting it in.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:43 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

I believe, and god please correct me if I'm wrong, that the proper procedure for cleaning the motor with seafoam is...

1/3 Can into fuel tank
1/3 Can into crankcase
1/3 Can into a vacuum line, slowly.

The seafoam into the vacuum line should cause the motor to stall, if not, be ready to turn the motor off with the key when it starts running rough. Let the seafoam sit in the motor for 25-30 minute. Make sure this is all being done in a well ventilated area, (read: Outside), as when you restart your XJ, (This will be a hard start), very toxic fumes will be emitted from through your exhaust.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I love Seafoam...but to get to the top end you'll need to put it in the crank case. And then like the other guys said, change the oil. You can actually get an engine flush bottle for like $5 that you add when the motor is cold, run it for 5 mins at idle then change the oil. I did it to mine a few weeks ago and you wouldn't believe what came out. And it made a huge difference in how it runs and sounds. Just my two cents, but I would do that, then do the Seafoam treatment and skip adding it to the crankcase.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by Killabrew
Just follow the directions on the can. Best to use some directly in throttle body. I believe it's around 1/3 in TB and the rest in the gas tank.

That's to clean out all the nasty biproducts of combustion that have gummed up in your intake manifold.

To clear up chatty lifters you're supposed to put it in your oil. Follow the directions on the can. If pouring seafoam in your TB clears up chatty lifters you have bigger problems than chatty lifters.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Sorry yeah i knew to put it in the crankcase i thought i had put that in here in my head but apparently i didnt lol. I put some in the crank case and some in the throttle body and all appears to be well now. Ive been running synthetic oil and changing it every 5k since i got it running about 3 years ago from my parents who let my baby sit there for about 7 years so that should be getting all the crap out of the old oil and just crud. When i changed my plugs last week they were dirty and all but not charcoal black with carbon all over but i guess my engine is pretty clean as far as i know.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 94XjSport94
Sorry yeah i knew to put it in the crankcase i thought i had put that in here in my head but apparently i didnt lol. I put some in the crank case and some in the throttle body and all appears to be well now. Ive been running synthetic oil and changing it every 5k since i got it running about 3 years ago from my parents who let my baby sit there for about 7 years so that should be getting all the crap out of the old oil and just crud. When i changed my plugs last week they were dirty and all but not charcoal black with carbon all over but i guess my engine is pretty clean as far as i know.
I recommend adding a ZDDP additive or some MMO/Lucas into your oil each oil fillup. Oils aren't made with enough zinc additive for flat tappet style cams to properly maintain them anymore.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

Originally Posted by CoffeeCommando
I recommend adding a ZDDP additive or some MMO/Lucas into your oil each oil fillup. Oils aren't made with enough zinc additive for flat tappet style cams to properly maintain them anymore.
Something I was certainly not aware of, and definitely something I will do with each coming oil change. From the quick reading I did about ZDDP and the newer American Petroleum Industry approved oils, and what people have been doing to overcome the low zinc oils is running oil rated for diesel usage, as they're not API formulated and have the zinc our engines need.

I've seen in many of the "What Oil Should I Use?" thread people running Rotella 10w30 and even 15w40 to combat this issue. I'll be going to the Rot 10w30 myself with my next service.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

maybe your rocker arms are out of wack,loose or something. does it sound like a deisel? mines the same way,ill probably check all that when i change my valve cover gasket.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: HO 4.0L

Redmuck , mine sound like a diesel too, if you solve that noise please hit me up i cant figure it out..
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by KeatsUSMC
Redmuck , mine sound like a diesel too, if you solve that noise please hit me up i cant figure it out..
yea its weird, my stepsons 93 wrangler I6 is nice and quiet.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 PM

nice rig too keats.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: HO 4.0L

ThankYou, i just ordered my 3.5 re sf lift and bilsteins all around
Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Mine sounded like a diesel for a while too. I read something about the flexplate and torque converter somewhere on here. Just search Diesel and Flexplate or Flywheel.

A few days after I changed my auto transmission fluid though... it went away. Maybe someone else would like to give it a try and see what their results are.

Quick Reply: Engine noises...