Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine cranks but won't start, 2nd Attempt Starts Without Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine cranks but won't start, 2nd Attempt Starts Without Issue

Hello y'all. I've already done some research on this forum as to what the problem might be, but since there is such a wide swath of possibilities, I thought maybe I could get some help narrowing it down.

Recently, when I turn the ignition, the motor will turn over, but it won't start. Then, if I try again a few seconds later, it will fire up without issue. This happens maybe 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time it will start on the 1st attempt without issue. I have read on here that it could be fuel pump related or CPS related, but just trying to get an idea of which area I might check first considering that this problem is only happening intermittently instead of every time I try to turn on the engine.

------------------
'98 XJ Limited L6-4.0L
Old 10-14-2023, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 484 Likes on 415 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

That is a classic fuel pump check valve beginning to fail and allow fuel pressure to bleed off. Your pump will run for two seconds when you turn the key on. But if it doesn't bring the system up to enough pressure to operate the injectors, it won't start. A second two seconds will bring it up to enough pressure to operate properly. You can verify this by turning the key to run for two seconds and the off and on again. If it starts every time that way, it is the check valve
Old 10-15-2023, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 301 Likes on 250 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Have been doing that "poor man's prime" for years now 😆. Until it will complete crap itself one day , forcing me to no longer procrastinate replacing the fp assembly...
Old 10-15-2023, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
That is a classic fuel pump check valve beginning to fail and allow fuel pressure to bleed off. Your pump will run for two seconds when you turn the key on. But if it doesn't bring the system up to enough pressure to operate the injectors, it won't start. A second two seconds will bring it up to enough pressure to operate properly. You can verify this by turning the key to run for two seconds and the off and on again. If it starts every time that way, it is the check valve
Thanks for the tip! I pick it up from the transmission mechanic tomorrow, so I will take a look then. Appreciate it.