Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Codes, random weird idling

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.
Default Engine Codes, random weird idling

Alright, here's my story. About a month ago, I got gas like usual, from my local Exxon (REG grade, same pump as always), but my jeep idled like crap, and stalled at a light right after filling up. But for the rest of the tank, it was fine. Then I tried another exxon, and same stuff, right after filling up.

So I said screw exxon, and tried Wawa and 7-11. Which both gives me some times, perfect idling, sometimes really crappy low, to high idling (like 1k, not 2k or anything stupid). It almost stalled at wawa right after filling up, and the lights were dimming very heavily also (all lights, I had the door open to listen to the engine).

It runs fine when actually going, in fact it feels perfect.

And just today I got the Check Engine light. I checked the codes using the key trick and I got these two codes:

Code 12 Battery disconnected.
Code 41 Alternator field switch.

These don't sound fuel related. I'm at a loss on where to go. I've already (with no help):
-Cleaned Idle motor, and TB (which is spotless anyway).
- Lil bit of SeaFoam in tank.

Last edited by AbsoluteAggressor; 11-10-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Bold
Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Bump. Any ideas where to go with this? To at least fix what the engine codes are complaining about.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

I think there are other issues at hand here aside from bad gas. I doubt you've gotten bad gas from 3 seperate stations. Sound like it my be worth checking/cleaning your grounds (battery to frame, engine to firewall, and ignition). This could explain the stalling and odd electrical codes.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by EvanK
I think there are other issues at hand here aside from bad gas. I doubt you've gotten bad gas from 3 seperate stations. Sound like it my be worth checking/cleaning your grounds (battery to frame, engine to firewall, and ignition). This could explain the stalling and odd electrical codes.

-Insert Time Gap-

Yeh, I've ruled out bad gas. I've drove on it like this for about 200miles with idling returning to normal. However, I now get the codes more often.

With the codes popping up I now get to stare at my volts being just above the white mark above the 9volt red zone. After driving a while, or sometimes a bump or good rev it'll shoot up to 14volts and stay there. My power and MPG haven't changed.

I've checked all the cables I could, all look tight and clean. Also managed to find the little black box on the alternator has a dent in it, which looks like someone shot a marble at it at like 300fps. So thinking alternator is killing over?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Load test battery, check voltage at alt. and starter, drop gas tank and check for debris and to inspect pump/filter assembly, replace TPS, IAC valve and/or o2 sensor's. These basically get more expensive as you go, so make sure to start cheap. Also make sure to get the CEL checked/cleared as often as possible. Having a shop that your familiar with helps. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

A code 41 is a failing alternator about 99.87934782% of the time.

I've seen it many times.

The symptoms you describe correlate with marginal available battery voltage, which is caused by the alternator.

What is the voltage reading on the dash gauge? It should be in the 13.5 to 14.0 voltage range (confirmed with a multimeter)

Although anything is possible, the alternator is definitely the #1 suspect.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Load test battery, check voltage at alt. and starter, drop gas tank and check for debris and to inspect pump/filter assembly, replace TPS, IAC valve and/or o2 sensor's. These basically get more expensive as you go, so make sure to start cheap. Also make sure to get the CEL checked/cleared as often as possible. Having a shop that your familiar with helps. Good luck.
I've already ran threw a few of those.
-starter is about 3 years old, starts healthy, very lil oil has been spilt on it.
-IAC has been cleaned.
-02 sensor is new, about 9months old.
-Outside tank fuel filter is new, 3months old.
-TPS, eh.

I'm going to go ahead and check all the voltages. My gauge rarely sat at 14v, usually 13-13.5v. The fact that now when it's not reading low, it's sitting at 14v gives me the ******. Thanks for the confirmation (99% at least) of the alt.

and the tank is my last resort, but needs to be done sooner or later, my fuel gauge has been off by almost a quarter for as long as I've owned my jeep ha.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Another update:

Checked new codes, They be:

13 MAP Sensor
41Alternator field switch

I'm beginning to think I can't count and the original code was 13 not 12 ha.

Last edited by AbsoluteAggressor; 11-19-2011 at 11:54 AM.