Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical/Wiring input

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O. In-Line 6.
Default Electrical/Wiring input

Hiya, folks.
I was looking for a lil input on rewiring a 94 cherokee country.
Keeping in mind this is a DD and Im neither pro, nor absolutely clueless, when it comes to fixing things. (I reside somewhere, in the middle. ) I was looking for a lil input.....

The 1994 Jeep Cherokee Country I purchased originally had taillight issues. Which I believed, and still do, is a ground issue somewhere in the rear lights themselves. (could be wrong tho)
[brief troubleshooting history]
-rear 3rd brake light works, but two main 'cube' brake lights didnt
(replaced bulbs all around)
= no change.

(checked fuses, connections, rear hatch plug, etc)
=no change

(new brake light swtich)
=no change

-when lights are engaged (from dash)
=fronts work fine, highs as well. rear drive lights work fine as well (but no added illumination during braking). 3rd brake light functions normally.

now, here is where i try and drink from the pool of wisdom we have here because ive seen some of your rigs. Id be thru 2 or 3 wives with what some of you have parked in your driveways.....

Question time

1. Where does the rear cube light assembly ground to? please be descriptive as possible. links and pics help greatly.

2. Ive heard that these things can be gutted and rewired. Are there all encompassing wiring harnesses that entail this? how long would the process be, keeping in mind, I have a bit of a wiredog history, so tedious wiring doesnt bother me, but, if it takes 3 weeks to do and only has a minimal chance of working, i might be walking down the wrong trail, if ya dig.
Any input on this avenue of approach?

thanks for your time, in advance.

-hub
Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

Its not a ground.

If you had 2 bad grounds, and your 3rd light works, your brake lights and tail lights would not work correctly. Since your tail lights work, and they share the same ground, its not the ground wire.

The wire that runs your brake lights should be 1 wire from the dash to the back, then split off to left, right, and 3rd brake lights. There is probably a wire bad between the split for the 3rd light, and the split for the L and R lights.

E

**EDIT**

On second thought the tail light and blinker share a bulb. So it could still be 2 bad grounds. (My bad). Its still easy to check, use a volt meter and a known good ground and check for voltage in the center of the socket with the brakes on.

If you dont have a volt meter, use an aligator clip, or a piece of wire, and ground the outside of the casing and see if that helps, if it does, just make a new ground, its not worth the work of hunting down the ground location and trying to figure out where it went bad.

I still think that the wire is bad between the split for the 3rd light, and the split for the L and R lights.

Last edited by Rageinferior; 07-21-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:16 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by hubcap
Hiya, folks.
I was looking for a lil input on rewiring a 94 cherokee country.
Keeping in mind this is a DD and Im neither pro, nor absolutely clueless, when it comes to fixing things. (I reside somewhere, in the middle. ) I was looking for a lil input.....

thanks for your time, in advance.

-hub
I sent you a PM on a diagram that may help you out...Tj