Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical 'shields' or 'sleeves'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6

Hi everybody. Just kidding about earlier, haha.

Last edited by RonnieD; 06-07-2014 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Are you talking about split loom tubing? Black with ridges and a split on one side? You can get it at almost any auto store or can order online for much cheaper if you can wait. I usually use delcity.com for my stuff.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by RonnieD
Hi everybody. Thanks for taking a minute to read my post. I apologize if the answer is somewhere already, but my quick search did not turn anything up. I am wondering if anyone knows where (besides the dealer, haha) to get more of the plastic tubing that goes over the wires that are in the engine compartment around most of the electrical wiring? It looks like it may be there to help prevent shorts and such. You guys know what I'm talking about? Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a few that are so brittle that any contact and they break.

Thanks again.
What you are referring to is "convolute tubing," A/K/A "spaghetti tubing" (because the wiring resembles spaghetti,) and it should be available at any local parts house or hardware store electrical section for a nominal price.

The primary purpose of this stuff is just "arranging" or "bundling" the wiring - you may also use "spiral wrap", which serves the same purpose (either/or, I consider them to be functionally equivalent in general. But, if I've got a lot of breakouts to do, I'll use the spiral.)

Note that this is neither a "shield" nor a "guard" - those are different aminals, for different purposes. A "shield" is often used to protect against something - spurious signals, perhaps ("foil shield" or "braid shield,") or can be used to protect against mechanical issues ("heat shield.") A "guard" is often used to fix routing of a cable - and can be either a clip or a bit of sheetmetal that retains the wiring.

An example of a shield would be having a pair of wires wrapped with foil connected to a ground, or the outer braid on coaxial cable (like for your televisor.) In both cases, the idea here is to preserve a low-power signal against outside interference. Another example would be "heat shield" - which is a braided fabric shield (usually using aramid fibre, sometimes glass) which provides a barrier layer against external heat. Shields may protect against crosstalk (external signals from other wires,) ambient EM fields, heat, friction, and similar.

A "guard" example (also used with hoses,) would be a sheetmetal bracket meant to keep your wiring away from "mechanical interference" (like a belt or spinning pully,) or a clip used to hold wiring positively away from hazzards (like the small clip on the rearmost stud for the CKP wiring.)

Guards may be purpose-built or fabricated on-side, while shields are usually either premade (and cut to fit,) or part and parcel of the wiring (as in coax or twinax.) "Bundles" (corrugate tubing, spiral wrap) are typically purchased as needed, and may generally be installed prior to wiring installation or as a repair with the wiring in situ.

And, I'm rambling, so I'll shut up now.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If you do a little hunting online you can find it in colors...if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think i seen it at autozone before in a lot of colors.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Also, not so much 'into that sort of thing', just trying to protect my wires, which have already seen better days. Thanks to everyone though, just picked them up.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 AM

Ahhhh. Picked up a shiny new (used) engine wiring harness for the good ole jeep today. Just need to slip that bad boy on, possibly replace my upstream o2 sensor, change a few fluids, and I should be good to go, lmao!