Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical nightmare please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electrical nightmare please help!!!

My 95 Cherokee is suffering from a serious electrical problem that started with a trip to the carwash. I pressure washed the engine bay for about 15 seconds and since that day I've been blowing a fuse and about to rip my hair out. First of all I checked every electrical connector under the hood and even the wiring harness itself for water and found nothing. The fuse I keep blowing is a green 30 amp buss fuse in the power distribution center under the hood. Standing on the passenger side looking at the vehicle it is fuse number 2 on the far right of the box right next to a 60 amp fuse. That is the only one that blows. I've done my research and I know it powers the fuel pump relay,auto shutdown,and starter relay. Now I know it powers the ignition system but I have either checked or replaced everything. I have replaced the starter,ignition switch and cleaned every single connector and filled it with dielectric grease. Now the problem is this the fuse will only blow when you hit the starter or if by chance you get it to start it will blow within 3 minutes of running. Also when I replaced the ignition switch when I turned the key on sparks started coming out of the switch. So I replaced it with the original and haven't had that problem since. But the main problem still remains and I can't figure it out and I need the electrical wizards to help me figure this out.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

Sounds like you got water in your fuse box. Go to the junkyard and pick up a fusebox, throw it in and see if that solves your problem. That is why I never wash the engine in any car. Damn electrical problems are a pain in the ****. I'd rather perform an engine swap than rattle my brain about some damn wire. Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 AM

Thanks. Yeah I agree I would rather do an engine swap myself. I hate electrical problems. I guess I'll have to try that.