Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issues after washing

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electrical issues after washing

97 jeep cherokee, 4.0, 5spd. After washing, vehicle will crank/no start. Sometimes it starts and then will not turn off with key out of the ignition. Sounds like the relay for the cruise control will randomly click repeatedly with the vehicle off. The odometer and airbag light will sometimes stay on with the key out of the ignition as well. Where should I even start with this? It's happened before but it went away when everything dried up. The wife decided to see if it would happen again after washing. She proved to herself it did.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Was the hood up when washing?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, forgot to mention it was a car wash with the underspray.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Does it only act up after getting a bath at the car wash? If it spit and sputtered afterwards id say the distributor got wet. Refusing to turn off with the key out of the ignition, id say the ignition switch is messed up. But thats inside the vehicle. Check the wiring under the hood and under the vehicle. Look for anything suspect. Something got wet that shouldnt. Aside from that, i dont know.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

So it's fine doing 60+ on the highway in the rain, but if the wife takes it through a drive-through car wash, it freaks out? Sounds more like a teenager in the house has access to the keys to me!

Sometimes things might look related when they are maybe not. A (commonly), faulty ignition switch might be the issue. Switching it off should, well, shut it off....

97 is OBD II. Unless you are in Ca, or Hwie a parts store should be able to read codes for free. Best I know is it has an ASD relay (Auto Shutdown), that depends of power from the ignition for about anything to work. So best of luck, and Kiss her quick!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I recommend a basic electrical system tune-up/cleaning just for good measure.

Remove all major connectors, clean with electronics cleaner, pack with dielectric grease. Clean all ground points, starter connections, and main battery connections, fuse box to battery wire, etc. Also consider removing and cleaning the neutral safety switch. Clean distributer cap and rotor, make sure it is sealing well. Clean and dielectric grease all spark plug wires too.

I wheel my XJ in rivers and deep mud all the time, usually survives on the trail but I have killed like 3 MAP or TPS sensors by cleaning the engine bay!

Just noticed that you have a 5 speed, so no neutral safety switch. Is your crank position sensor original? I had issues with mine firing up when it was cold and wet, turned out to be the CPS (about $50-$70, only use OEM Mopar for this)
​​​​
The ignition switch issue seems unrelated, but I would clean it and see if it helps, or replace it with a new one (about $20)

Last edited by investinwaffles; 01-15-2017 at 04:35 PM.