Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

XJ Shutting off while driving - But starts STRONG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default XJ Shutting off while driving - But starts STRONG?

Hey all, so the other day I was driving it my 2001 XJ Classic, a series of events unfolded.

Radio shut off, flickered on and off, dash lights shut off, loss of power steering, etc. Voltage went to 0 immediately.

I managed to get home as I was on my street. Everything electrical shut off including the vehicle. No fuel was pumping either. Got no feeling even with pedal all the way down.

Upon arriving home I charged the battery.

The next day:

I assume everything seems to be okay, I was getting 12v whilst off and 14v while on. So I drive it. As I get in to make my way home I notice I was getting 12v even while it was on? I thought something was up.

I managed to pull over to a side street and get my brother to come and jumpstart it. I had to baby it home with him jumpstarting it another 2 times (It turned off both those times), it dying right as I pulled into the driveway and me just letting it roll in.

I then check the voltage whilst it's running (IT STARTS FINE! and VOLTAGE IS BACK AT 12 whilst off and 14 while on!). I have no clue what this issue could be. I don't want it to shut off while I'm driving again.

I think that in the past few weeks I had briefly seen the voltage meter drop to 0 but the vehicle still functioned, before these big issues occurred.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

probably a bad ground--check your connections/wires. Also check both wires for your alternator, battery, and power distribution center (under the hood)

I had an issue with a bad cps, but I cannot remember if my voltage dropped to 0--but the jeep did shut off completely. After about 20 or 30 minutes it would start back up and run fine.

Last edited by mikesignal; 01-13-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Yeah Mike,
bad battery not taking a charge but more likely; corroded or loose connections or bad alternator. Battery and/or charging issues are easy to identify. All one needs is a digital voltmeter and some basic understanding of battery/charging.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Put on leather gloves.
Start the Jeep in your driveway.
Leave it in park.
Open the hood.
Start grabbing wiring harnesses and shaking. Relatively violently.
Connections and electrical plugs also, but not as violent as to break them.
See if it stalls.
Fix the wires inside or the connection.

I had what you're saying happen 2 times to me...
The first, I chased wires and tested volts on everything.
I changed the computer.
I spent money.
Took it to the shop, the guy starts wiggling stuff, and it stalls.
The wires in the main harness across the firewall has wires that are prone to rubbing thru. He shook it, the Jeep stopped.

The second time, it was the wires near the coil.

Good luck.