Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issues

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 242ci
Default Electrical issues

I finally got all of my clutch issues worked out, and have moved on to some of the other little annoyances. My radio would randomly work, and it would drive me nuts. I noticed that whenever the clock would show, the radio will work. Tonight, the radio was working just fine, until I tried to turn on one of the overhead map lights. It shut the radio and clock off, and the light didn't come on. I pushed the button on the light again, and the clock comes back on, but the radio stays off. About 10 minutes later, the radio turns on out of nowhere. Never have I seen anything like that before.

The dome light hasn't worked since I bought the truck, however the bulb is new, and all fuses look good. Neither map lights work, and they both mess with the radio/clock when I push them. I have no rear defrost or wiper action. One time, I shut the truck off and turned off the headlights, but the headlights did not turn off. The running lights and tail lights turned off, but the headlights stayed on. I messed with turning the truck on and off while messing with the switch, and they eventually shut off on their own. It's done that twice on me. Are any of these things even remotely tied to eachother? I'm mostly concerned with getting my radio working properly, and eventually having a dome light. Sorry for the novel; electrical issues drive me insane.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Electrical sux, i'v never been good at it.

I do know the headlight issue is normal, if you turn off ignition before the headlights they will stay illuminated for a few minutes as a safety feature. This does not activate if you turn off lights before ign.

On the overhead light/stereo issue. Swap out that switch, i had a dead short on my rig that was traced to a bad rear cargo switch. It'd be real cheap and it may be the problem. Check one of the guys parting a rig here.