Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Electrical Issues

Summary before the overworded post.
1. Battery dying overnight drove test to bad alternator diode to replaced alternator. Alternator was showing overcharge in dash prior to replacement but not at the terminals.
2. Replaced alternator (136A 98 ZJ) then same parasitic drain and 18V in dash guage reading and now fuse of some sort blown and no power.

Ok to start I had a battery that would die after a day of the jeep sitting. So I had it tested and got Good Baterry Bad Diode in the alternator. Inside the cab the guage would read 18 volts when the jeep was runing. The alternator output and battery was 14.0 when the jeep was running.
I decided to replace the alternator and upgrade to the 136A '98 ZJ alternator. Got the jeep put back together after the upgrade started it and it still showed the 18v in the dash of the jeep. Tested everything and was getting 13.82 from the alternator and battery. Battery was still showing a parasitic drain but when I tested it it was only .25MAH. However the battery was draining at a much higher rate being I could watch it go from 11.8 to 11.6 in about 3 minutes.
So here is the problem I went to restart the jeep got the clicky click from the starter due to low battery power then pop everything went black. I have not started running fuses yet but at a loss for where to begin with all the trouble shooting. Not a good electrical guy so any help will be appreciated. To sumarize:

1. Battery dying overnight drove test to bad alternator diode to replaced alternator. Alternator was showing overcharge in dash but not at the terminals.
2. Replaced alternator (136A 98 ZJ) then same parasitic drain and 18V in dash guage reading and now fuse of some sort blown and no power.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Ignore the dash voltmeter for now, your DMM across the battery terminals is telling the truth.
Check all your fuses & replace as necessary.
Pull one fuse at a time until you find one where the parasitic drain stops. May have to disconnect the starter to check it as well.