Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Electrical issues

So about a week ago I was driving on a dirt road and hit a couple pot holes and my windshield wipers stopped working. Mind you that one if the PO ( only owned the jeep for about 10 days) tried to bypass the wiper control module and when that didn't work they hooked up a sketchy toggle switch that was very poorly grounded(grounded to the plastic kick panel so it was grounded by the screw that went to the frame) anyways the power wire for this fried so I decided I would look for the cause of the wipers not working from (I didn't know about the module missing or being necessary) and continued to take the dash completely off. After I learned about the module I picked one up at a JY and the wipers work fine now. I also spliced a new female harness for the headlight switch because it was melted to ****( I must have got a couple of the wires wrong as a few where basically identical as my dash lights still won't work). As I was taking the headlight switch out I didn't disconnect the battery like an idiot and the ground caught on part if the switch and fried it( almost all of the insulation for the wire was dust) it smoked pretty good till i disconnected the battery. So I spliced new ground wire into the remaining inch or so of good ground. After I finished it all up I put the dash back on and plugged in all of the switches and put it on accessories to make sure I did everything right. I did except the dash lights. I went to start it and...nothing. My heart dropped and then I got pissed off. My friend tried to start it with a s10 key and it didn't but since then the real key has been super hard to remove from the ignition and its hard to turn the ignition from off to to acc but then its easy. The jeep will run all electrical but the started wont move or hum or anything. I'm almost positive that my wiring is not the reason, I spliced any wire that looked remotely bad. The jeep has an after market code alarm pro 1000 that I have no keys or anything for. I only have a ignition key. So as of right now I believe its either the alarm of one of the fuses under the hood. I was wondering if any of you think it could be that damn alarm or if someone could tell me or show a picture of any fuses that could cause this problem and how to test it. I have already fallen in live with this thing from when I had wheel it and I would love to take it in the snow. Thanks from a Jeep noob.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 PM

Incase my name isn't enough its a 1987 Jeep cherokee limited with the 4.0 and has the tow package.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Disconnecting battery turn ignition key to run position then reconnect battery should reset alarm .
Old 02-23-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Disconnecting battery turn ignition key to run position then reconnect battery should reset alarm .
Just tried to no avail. Key is still hard to remove and ignition is still hard to turn.