Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

electrical issue question...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1985
Model: Cherokee
Engine: puny lil 4 cyld... 2,5 litres, I-4, carburettor
Default electrical issue question...

so when i have my radio on. if i use my heater, defrost. after a while i loose my turn signals, radio, and heater. i still have headlights, and taillights.

i cant figure out if i should be looking for a wire thats exposed & touching metal, or something else. ive looked thru the engine compartment, under the jeep, and took off the bottom of the dash. the PO made a mess. theres cut wires, and things unhooked all over the jeep. ive taped up any wire that are exposed, or cut. but it happened to me again this morning.

i guess i could run without my radio, but i would rather find the source of the problem so i dont burn jeepy up this winter just using the heater.

any sugestions at all would be great
Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 PM

i hate to have to bump this, but i need help figuring this out. any thoughts at all would really help.
this morning while warming up the jeep. i had the defrost on, and the stereo. waiting for the window to unfog. about 5 minutes into it i lost the stereo, blinkers, and the heater/ defrost. i havnt tried running the heater without the stereo going. ill try that.

any thoughts?/ or anyone ever have anything like this happen?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Troubleshooting

To Clarify: When you say that you 'lose' them, I'm assuming you mean a fuse is blowing, and that to get it back, you are installing a new fuse. Is this the case?

If this is the case, your best bet is going to be to turn all said electrical devices off. Since turn signals are rather important, start with them. For a day or two of normal driving, just use your turn signals. Next, if things seem okay still, (they probably will), just use your rear defroster in addition to the blinkers, for an obscene amount of time. Keep it on while you drive, turning it back on whenever it automatically turns off. Just let it keep working for a good half hour at least. If that doesn't cause them to all go, stop using it again. Now, just use your heater in addition to the blinkers. Use it a lot, just like the defroster. Roll the windows down, and crank that heat. If that doesn't blow it after a bit, turn it off. Now, just use your radio for a few days, because radios have a much lower power draw. If none of these have caused it to blow, you'll have to start looking for bare/exposed wire, and/or bad connections. When troubleshooting, it is important to do these one at a time, so there is absolutely zero question about what caused it to blow when it does. Best of luck,
Old 11-22-2009, 04:40 PM

I finally figured out my problem with this. And with the very few hits i got while asking, and searching on my problem. I figure i better put it in the thread. That way if anyone ever has this issue in the future., there is an option.

This weekend i had enough. I tore apart the dash. And started replacing switches. After each switch got a new one, i tried to turn on the blower. After all that. I finally found out that it was my ignition switch. I replaced it, and i can now run the blower, and not have it seem like i blow a fuse.

i hope this can help someone out in the future.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THANKS!

This is exactly what is happening to my Jeep. I am grabbing my tools right now to assess the situation.