Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default electrical issue

My battery is stone dead. I replaced the alternator and the negative ground, recharged the battery, and a few days later it's stone dead again.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L In Line 6

Something is pulling a load on the battery. Charge up the battery with the ground disconnected. When you hook the ground back up, you shouldn't see any sparks when you touch the battery terminal. If you do, something is on. If there are no sparks, maybe the battery is shot.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Start checking fuses for a short. Something is draining the battery somewhere, ie lights left on, but probably something not as obvious.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Here is a video on how to look for the draw.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 PM

Year: 2001

I think the first step would be a stop by the local Autozone/Advance Auto/Oreilly/Etc. and have a free battery test/evaluation done to rule out the battery itself. This time of year and the temperature changes are often the cause for a declining battery to give up the ghost.

Originally Posted by BriansCJ
Start checking fuses for a short. Something is draining the battery somewhere, ie lights left on, but probably something not as obvious.
When checking the fuses & fuse box (both under dash and under the hood) you hope to find "Shorts". An "Open" fuse is blown one and by definition a "Shorted" fuse is a good one. As for checking fuses for your battery drain, check for anything melted, burnt, corroded, loose or hacked at for some type of modification. Beyond that kind of evidence and contrary to popular belief, a "bad fuse" is highly unlikely to be your problem with a battery draw down.

Radio/Stereo equipment are common sources, especially aftermarket ones. A blower motor staying on type issue, dome light switch in the door jamb or electrical ignition switch are not bad areas to inspect. And the number one culprit I have personally found for battery draw downs is an aftermarket add on, modification or hacked up repair tampering with wiring.

My personal approach is prove the battery good then a visual inspection of common things and then off to the current measuring setting on a multi-meter. I didn't watch the video but I am guessing the general concept will be attach your meter to measure current draw and pull system fuses one at a time until you eliminate the parasitic power draw. You then know which circuit to chase that is creating an undo draw when the vehicle is off.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by sgjii
I think the first step would be a stop by the local Autozone/Advance Auto/Oreilly/Etc. and have a free battery test/evaluation done to rule out the battery itself. This time of year and the temperature changes are often the cause for a declining battery to give up the ghost.
On this same note, I just had the battery in the Oldsmobile bite the dust last week. Started with not holding a charge overnight. At 5yrs old and the temperature change here in Ohio, my first suspect was the battery.

I got a smokin' deal on an Exide 40month free replacement / 108month prorated warranty on sale at Menards until 12-15-13. I don't typically think of Menards for auto parts but their batteries are Exide (who OEMs a lot of batteries for other brand names anyhow) and their sale price of $74.99 beat the heck out of the chain auto stores at $125. I even had a $5 off coupon and ended up getting the new battery for $69.99

Like the ad says, "Save Big Money at Menards"
Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM

thanks everyone. The battery is an 18 month old 3 year battery, which I had tested and all the cells are good.