Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical Help

Old 08-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical Help

Hello, I'm a new to the forum and would appreciate some help regarding an electrical issue I'm have with my 2001 XJ. I recently purchased it from a private owner and runs great however I am having issues with maintaining a good connection to the battery. after it not starting one morning i realized the battery connectors were really corroded and worn so i replaced them using those universal replacement connectors they sell at advanced auto. it seemed to correct the problem for a few days but its happening again. i jiggle the connectors and where the ground cable is bolted to the frame and it will start again. its keeps happening i cant figure out why. i have cleaned connections. everything is tight. After the latest time it happened, on the drive following the volt gauge jumped to 19. it comes back down at idle. drove straight home and now it of course wont start

when changing the connectors the old ground cable broke off from the frame so i replaced it with a some thicker cable ( a AAP battery replacement cable i had) i had lying around and attached to a different part of the frame. not sure if that could be my issue. the car also has an issue where different electrical functions such as the passenger window controls, rear windows ect. work sometimes and sometimes not. Seems like they issues could be related. sorry for the book but i would appreciate any advice you guys could offer. i am trying learn cars and would like to handle my self if possible.

thanks

Last edited by MarkMelicia; 08-17-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Ground cable goes to bolt by dip stick tube smaller one should got to inner fender or core support bolt.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkMelicia
i jiggle the connectors and where the ground cable is bolted to the frame and it will start again. its keeps happening i cant figure out why. i have cleaned connections.
The cable itself is probably corroding under the jacket. I'd replace the entire cable assembly, both positive and negative. Those clamp-down universal terminals have issues of their own.
Make sure you have a solid negative battery connection to both the block and the chassis. Most XJ's have two wires on the battery (-), larger gauge to the block and smaller to the chassis.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Hello, I'm a new to the forum and would appreciate some help regarding an electrical issue I'm have with my 2001 XJ. I recently purchased it from a private owner and runs great however I am having issues with maintaining a good connection to the battery. after it not starting one morning i realized the battery connectors were really corroded and worn so i replaced them using those universal replacement connectors they sell at advanced auto. it seemed to correct the problem for a few days but its happening again. i jiggle the connectors and where the ground cable is bolted to the frame and it will start again. its keeps happening i cant figure out why. i have cleaned connections. everything is tight. After the latest time it happened, on the drive following the volt gauge jumped to 19. it comes back down at idle. drove straight home and now it of course wont start

when changing the connectors the old ground cable broke off from the frame so i replaced it with a some thicker cable ( a AAP battery replacement cable i had) i had lying around and attached to a different part of the frame. not sure if that could be my issue. the car also has an issue where different electrical functions such as the passenger window controls, rear windows ect. work sometimes and sometimes not. Seems like they issues could be related. sorry for the book but i would appreciate any advice you guys could offer. i am trying learn cars and would like to handle my self if possible.

thanks
I totally agree in new cables also make sure you connections are tight and clean with no corrosion also why you doing all of this check out you battery to see if its okay it should be at about 12.4v sitting and check your charging system same way get a volt meter and hold it on the battery terminals you should be getting some numbers above 13v, 14v is usually a good number anywhere in between is okay to
Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Year: 2001 XJ
Engine: 4.0

Thanks guys did as you suggested and all good. Appreciated
Old 08-22-2013, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

all good.