Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical glitches in new Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Electrical glitches in new Jeep

Hey guys, Ive been absent for a while and the last cherokee I had was a 89 2-door that got wrecked and insurance totalled out. Didnt have the place or space to keep it and fixed it, so I sold it off... made some $$$ tho!

Just today came home with another 2-door and am already loving it! Here are the specs (I know, it was built and bought, dont burn me...)

1989 Cherokee Sport 2-door, I6 4.0 automatic 4x4, Rusty's 4.5" lifts with full leaf pack and dual Bilstein shocks in the front. 33,12.50x15 BFGoodrich KM2's that are basically brand new, Bushwhacker flares, beefy aftermarket front bumper. Thats about it, now listing some issues I could use some help troubleshooting...

1.) The existing wiring for the stereo will not power up my new deck, previous owner said it worked all along but will not for me. I found the appropriate diagram to wire the pigtail from the cab to my deck... I can bypass the original wiring and install my own, but would rather just use the stock stuff.

2.) All the gauges works fine, as they should... but when I turn the driving lights ON or the daytime lights ON, all the gauges die minus the speedometer (cable driven from the looks of it). I did a brief look behind the dash, but didnt see anything amiss...

3.) The engine will NOT fire using the key, so previous owner installed a push-start button (which will only work if the key is in ignition and turned over to the "on" position).

I would love to simplify everything and have the ignition returned to factory, the gauges to work normally, and the stereo to work using the existing wiring.

Question is this, has anyone ever had the gauge issue before? Would it be a matter of swapping for a new gauge cluster to make it work? Mine has the RPM tach along with 4 corner dummy gauges, if that helps at all... Would a new steering column be easier to fix the ignition deal and get rid of the push start button?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! Attaching some pics of the Jeep

Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Well, first of all, congratulations on your new wheels!

Originally Posted by Gillette1987
1.) The existing wiring for the stereo will not power up my new deck, previous owner said it worked all along but will not for me. I found the appropriate diagram to wire the pigtail from the cab to my deck... I can bypass the original wiring and install my own, but would rather just use the stock stuff.
Got a meter? Got a test light? Time to do some testing.

Question is this, has anyone ever had the gauge issue before? Would it be a matter of swapping for a new gauge cluster to make it work?
It might. It might not. There are only two ways to answer that question:

1. Try it. It might work. It might not. Either way, you'll know.
  2. Do some troubleshooting. As in, testing. Find out what's wrong before you spend $$$ on parts.
Option one is what most people seem to do. Buy some parts, swap them out, spend money. It's easy. No thinking required.

And then when it doesn't work, they are crying the blues.

I recommend option 2.

Would a new steering column be easier to fix the ignition deal and get rid of the push start button?
Might only need a switch. Might not be in the switch or column at all. Not much point in spending the $$$ on a column when all you need is a switch, or maybe a relay somewhere else.

Again, test first, then buy parts.

Life is more bettah that way.