Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical connections on NP231

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical connections on NP231

My t-case has the electrical speedometer sender on it. However, there's no plug anywhere underneath the XJ that connects to the darn thing. So, what do the three prongs go to on the sender? One has to be the signal, I assume one is ground and the other power? I took a picture of the sender at lunch but left the $^&(*%$ camera on the table.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by V8XJDavid
My t-case has the electrical speedometer sender on it. However, there's no plug anywhere underneath the XJ that connects to the darn thing. So, what do the three prongs go to on the sender? One has to be the signal, I assume one is ground and the other power? I took a picture of the sender at lunch but left the $^&(*%$ camera on the table.
When you drive this Jeep is there speedometer readout on the instrument cluster?

Was this a 2WD Jeep and was converted to 4WD?
Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it has always been a 4x4. The PO dropped a 350/700R4 in it. Speedo did not work when I bought it. I installed an aftermarket gauge and GPS sending unit, but the GPS unit sucks and I want to use the one in the t-case. There is no plug anywhere under the Jeep that will connect to this so I will have to make one or get one from junkyard. But I still need to know which wire goes where. Here's a pic.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I'm afraid you're chasing your tail on this one. The speedometer readout in your '97 originally was from the PCM, which sounds like ain't there no more.

The vehicle speed sensor provided the PCM with speed data then the PCM fed the instument cluster with data through the CCD Data Bus, ending up as a speedometer readout.

Looks like you'll have to use that GPS.