Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

EGR elimination?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default EGR elimination?

I've read in a couple places that removing the egr can help emissions and performance, is there some truth to this? also, how hard would it be to switch from an 89 ecu to a 96 ecu?
Old 02-13-2011, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

False!! Removing an EGR will increase you NOX emissions, and no power increses will be seen. The EGR is closed at WOT, and only open during cruise situtations for the most part.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Year: 1989

Thanks, after a bit if searching i found that its not really worth it anyway. and i also found that the computer out of my 96 wont work unless i do an entire motor swap, and i dont have the means to do that. I am wondering though, I have a near perfectly running 96 cherokee that i've intended to part out, aside from the body and exaust being beat to hell the thing has some serious power. what can I take off of it to put on my 89? as long as its not like an engine or trans swap then I can do anything else.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by mentalbreakdown00
False!! Removing an EGR will increase you NOX emissions, and no power increses will be seen. The EGR is closed at WOT, and only open during cruise situtations for the most part.
I'd be inclined to argue that (and your HC and CO will drop significantly if you remove the EGR, and the NOx increase on our low-compression and somewaht quench-compliant engines is minimal...) but Federal regs get in the way.

I'd really like to strip the thing off and replace it with a water/MeOH fogger - it would do a better job, not decrease one harmful emission class at the expense of drastically increasing two, it wouldn't crap up the intake side with carbon (which is a downright stupid idea!) it would reduce carbon deposits, it would keep the engine cleaner, and with a little more tuning you could eliminate the catalytic converter as well (and have similar or better tailpipe emissions levels.)

But, what do I know? I've only got 30 years' practical experience with engines, not a government paycheque...
Old 02-13-2011, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 5-90
I'd be inclined to argue that (and your HC and CO will drop significantly if you remove the EGR, and the NOx increase on our low-compression and somewaht quench-compliant engines is minimal...) but Federal regs get in the way.

I'd really like to strip the thing off and replace it with a water/MeOH fogger - it would do a better job, not decrease one harmful emission class at the expense of drastically increasing two, it wouldn't crap up the intake side with carbon (which is a downright stupid idea!) it would reduce carbon deposits, it would keep the engine cleaner, and with a little more tuning you could eliminate the catalytic converter as well (and have similar or better tailpipe emissions levels.)

But, what do I know? I've only got 30 years' practical experience with engines, not a government paycheque...
Ok, you've hooked my attention. What is this water/MeOH fogger and how would it help the engine in all of those ways? And please don't think Im trying to argue; quite the opposite. I am very interested.